Using Foam Insulation Board for a Pool Floor

eric136September 3, 2008

I'm in the process of designing my inground vinyl pool and just checked-out a friend's vinyl pool. Instead of using vermiculite for the base, he used 2" blue foam insulation board. It's definitely a softer bottom (real similar to a sand bottom) and you can feel the uneveness of the dirt below it. I was wondering if anyone has heard of using this before (pros & cons), it's alot cheaper than the vermiculite and would be easier to install.

Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golfgeek

eric136,
Caveat...I'm not a vinyl PB.

The vermiculite provides a subsurface that will not settle if properly installed. It also provides a barrier for rodents that might dig. I've seen gofhers at a depth of 5-6 feet. The finish dimensions are important for a good, long lasting liner fit. Vermiculite allows this.
Some foam insulations don't hold up well underground.
Just a few points to ponder...Good luck.

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 2:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muddy_water

Understand that most of the pressure is on the walls of the pool not on the floor and I know from the pools I have seen that have put foam on the floor it tends to shift overtime and become a mess. For foam board I have not seen it installed and would worry about the liner in the slope areas and creating footprints as the adhesive breaks down. A sand portland cement mix will give you the best floor and its working time will be a little longer than Vermiculite. I only use vermiculite to patch a floor for a liner replacement..

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™