Wknd. Project: Ombre' Chairs

ttoddMay 20, 2012

Our hand me down DR table and chairs have been in dire need of major refinishing for yrs. I was tired of the kids picking the veneeer off of the table and/ or getting stuck on the chairs so I decided to put to use stuff I had around the house and take the DR table and chairs to our shop for storage until DH gets around to refinishing them some yr.

I decided to make it fun and inject some color by painting each chair a different color pulled from the antique landscape lithopraphs hanging in the DR so they are a range of pale green blue to a navy blue. The DR walls (except for the chalkboard wall) are all bright white and the lithographs are all in gold frames. I scavenged all but 1 chair from the basement and DH had an extra chair at work that the owner didn't want.

The middle chair is actually a pale blue grey that DH did w/ left over paint from one of his jobs. It looks really washed out in the pic. I am looking for 1 more chair to do and in the end the 2 end chairs will be white slipcovered parsons chairs while all of the painted ones will be on the sides. I need to get 1 more can of paint for the first chair because it sucked up so much paint. As usual I was in a rush to get to the end product and I didn't prime.

You may remember the DR table that I found in our alley one night that someone put out for trash. I was going to paint it but I think I'm just going to clean it up and leave it as is. DH repaired the bases for me and brought them home last weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
powermuffin

Chairs look great and I hope you will post a picture once the table is set up with the chairs. I have a very nice dining room table, sort of craftsman. I have to cover it with a table cloth when we have guests because I don't want it damaged. I wish I had picked out a table that was more farm house, rough so that I could just set the dishes right on it and any damage would add to the patina. Maybe your "found" table will be like that - no pretenses, just a nice table used for friends and family.
Diane

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 11:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ttodd

Thanks Powermuffin!

I really like the antique table that we have but it is so beat up that I have to cover it w/ a table cloth. I'm looking forward to having a nice but not 'so perfect' table that I can just use a runner and/or placemats on. I love to see the wood of a table.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Broyhill lamps -- help!
A couple weeks ago I saw some lamps made by Broyhill...
tammy518
Anyone want a crystal chandelier?
My BIL recently passed away. He had no wife or children....
badgergal
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
Sponsored Products
Urban Outdoor Swivel Chair
$289.99 | zulily
Treated Pine Crossback Rocking Chair
Fifthroom.com
AICO Furniture - Chateau Beauvais Fabric Wood Chair - 75834-BRONZ-39
Great Furniture Deal
Emerson Chair - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Linden Petite Barrel Chair - NATURAL
$799.00 | Horchow