Why cloudy water??

joanneswimsctSeptember 11, 2010

Hi all!

We have a 20X38 vinyl pool w/ Hayward pump and DE filter. We just took apart the filter to really clean the grids as we weren't happy w/ our results just backwashing. My husband noted huge clumps of DE in the grids; after backwashing we were told to just gently pour the DE into the skimmer dry. I read on this forum not long ago that making a slurry vs pouring in dry DE was better for the filter so that's what we did this last time. Since then, every time the pump stops for the night, the basket that sits in front of the pump fills w/ cloudy water which looks suspiciously like the DE slurry. I also noticed that after the pool settles over night, there is a tannish-white dusty like substance that collects in all of the crevices of the pool floor and hopper by morning. I vacuumed it up but am worried that it is DE and will keep settling on the floor. Your thoughts??

Thanks as always!!!

Joanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diypoolpro

What you are describing, DE in the pool is coming from your DE filter. You need to re-inspect your grids, the top collector mainfold, o-ring on the standpipe and look for defects (cracks, breaks, etc.) Vacuuming up the DE is good but it will keep coming back into the pool until you fix the problem. One possibility is that you may have added too much DE for you filter size and you may need to backwash some DE out of your filter. Remember never add DE in backwash mode, it could destroy your grids.

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 10:18PM
poolguynj

Additional note: The amount of fresh DE added after a backwash should be less than the amount used with a new or freshly cleaned grid assembly. Backwashing doesn't get all the old DE out. After a backwash of a properly maintained grid, I use about 75 to 80% of the called for DE.

Scott

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 9:54AM
dalehileman

Perhaps TO but it might be noted in passing that the addition of Ph Up or the like causes temporarily cloudiness

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 12:17PM
just-a-pb

Jonnes,
If the pump basket is filling with cloudy water, then you have a small seal leak in your system somewhere. When pump shuts off the water settles out of the filter into the pump basket and probably out the maindrains into the pool.
Since you just cleaned the filter I check the filter O-ring, and make sure the air bleed is clean and not leaking air.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 2:39PM
joanneswimsct

Hey just-a-pb
Now that you mention it, there was a ton of air in that basket this am when the pump turned on. I had to bleed it out of the system and I can still hear air burbling around; very noisy. Will check that out; thanks!!!
Joanne

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
Swimming laps- Design help
My wife wants to swim laps. Short of building an olympic...
jparkfire
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
Christy Bell
How to film pool build timelapse?
I've been lurking for months & finally ready to...
Wendy Baldwin
Sponsored Products
Perry Collection 20" Wide Black Iron Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Adagio CSS2002 Cascade Springs - Green Natural Slate Wall Fountain
SerenityHealth
Shires Equestrian H2GO Bag - 12 Pack - 1452-PACK12
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Fig Ladies Bathroom Cleaning Set
$39.99 | zulily
Antique Milk Jug Watering Can
Signature Hardware