Pics of raised bond beam connecting to retaining wall?

PoolMD123September 8, 2012

Hi! The PB we are considering wants to put in a 30 inch bond beam on the pool (inground gunite 15 x 30 against a hill) with wing walls(retaining wall) on either side. Does anyone else have this? We are worried a tile bond beam with a mesa stone retaining wall on either side will look awful. Even a stone bond beam wouldn't quite match up. At least we can't picture it. Does anyone have any pictures of their pools with anything like this? Any advise? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmck_nc

We have this. Ours is all faced in rock and I think it looks good. The raised wall leads to a waterfall then neg edge on the left side and to the retaining wall on the right side. The wall steps down as the slope decreases on the right side. I can't access a picture from this computer but will try to post one tomorrow.
Judy

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:04PM
PoolMD123

Thanks Judy! I'd love to see it. So did you use a retaining wall with a stone face on it?

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:08PM
jmck_nc

Finally getting back with a picture. Hope this helps you. In this picture, the raised bond beam transitions to the retaining wall behind the chair on the left side of tanning ledge. Let me know if you have questions.
Judy

In this picture, you can see the flow of the walls from above.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:23AM
jmck_nc

oops! Here is the second picture

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:25AM
PoolMD123

Gorgeous pool Judy! And thank you for the pictures. This is a huge help. I keep asking PB for pics of this and he is searching but nothing so far from his files. We'd have to pay extra for the stone facing (on the bond beam and retaining wall blocks) which makes me nervous. We'd have a sheer descent instead of natural waterfall. Our pool will be grecian so we'll have a straight wall/bond beam on the side instead of curved like yours.
But your pool seems very similar to ours in some ways. I see you have a tanning ledge as well. We are also thinking about that with the bubblers. Do you like it?

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:23PM
jmck_nc

Glad the pics help. Regarding the tanning ledge...yes we like it. If I had young kids I would definitely want it, but not at the expense of a large shallow end. My dog LOVES it! The bubblers were something the pool builder suggested but really I don't find them that great...most of the young kids we've had over play with them for a couple of minutes and lose interest. If I had known, I would have left them out.

For the wall...maybe you could do tile in the poll and transition to rock for the retaining wall part but put the transition where there will be plants to hide it. Once our landscaping grew in it changed the look completely.
Judy

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 7:17PM
PoolMD123

That's a good idea. PB finally suggested that tonight. Putting plants/bushes in front of it.
Thank you!

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™