My baby quilt is finished

loisflanMay 6, 2012

I hope the baby's parents aren't into pastels. I had so much fun making this stack 'n' whack pattern. And picking out the fabrics too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Lois, I think it shows that you had fun making this quilt! I like the fabrics you used and the blue border is an excellent choice. Nice job!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 5:23AM
msmeow

Lois, it's great! I've heard babies like bright colors, so he or she should be really happy with it. :) You did a great job.

Donna

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 7:51AM
mcpeg

Vivid colours, great prints. I can see this quilt getting dragged everywhere...and well loved.

Cheers,
Peggy

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 8:31AM
fran1523

I love it. That buggy fabric is really cute. It does look like it was fun to make. The binding fabric is perfect too.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:34AM
day2day

This is a great quilt!
I like the bug fabric, the stars, the polka dots and the bright orange.
The baby will enjoy all those brights.
Wonderful choice of pattern too.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:14AM
littlehelen_gw

What little one won't love that quilt? The fabrics are perfect and the border and binding choice frames it beautifully.
V.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 12:18PM
luvtosharedivs

This quilt should keep baby awake;)...looking at all the bright fabrics and later pointing out the cute bugs.

I've been studying the blocks, and can spot at least three different "whack job" patterns. Cool!

How many fabrics did you stack together for cutting?

You have a great eye for picking out go-together fabrics.

Julie

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 1:24PM
mcpeg

Hi Again,

Years ago I never liked orange. I taught a friend how to make quilt blocks using the book Quilts Quilts Quilts - we tried them and learned from each block we made. I thought her quilt looked warm and cozy. She thought something was missing...

orange. It was missing orange. She replaced some pieces and the next blocks included oranges. Wow what a difference. It was like the sun shone on her quilt. And I've learned the same with garden colour schemes - purples, blues oranges and pinks make great combos.

I really love the hues in this quilt and the excitement I feel from it.

I'm so glad you have shared this one too.

Cheers,
Peggy

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 2:12PM
magothyrivergirl

Lucky baby! What a nice gift! Babies love bright happy colors. Your striped binding is perfect for the (reads as) solid border that grounds all the movement in the center.

I agree you are very good at selecting colors and patterns.

This looks like a fun quilt to make. You did a wonderful job!

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 2:21PM
toolgranny

Great job. Love the colors. And, I love the corners you put into the borders. Lucky baby.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 3:46PM
bev2009

What parents wouldn't love a beautiful quilt like this for their baby. It's so bright and cheerful.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 4:29PM
nanajayne

Love the fabric you chose and think the orange is perfect!
I like the pattern but not exactly sure if I know how it was done. Are 8 fabrics stacked and then sewn back together? I have made S&W quilts but they were kaleidoscope type patterns. I think this is great for a childs quilt. Love it. TFS

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 4:30PM
rosajoe_gw

WOW!! I love it too! The borders are amazing, I'm sure the baby will love it too!
Rosa

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 4:38PM
loisflan

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone.

Julie and Jayne, I stacked eight fabric squares. Then I cut through all 8 fabrics making 8 stacks of differing shapes. For the first stack, I took the top fabric and moved it to the bottom of the same stack. For the second stack, I took the top two fabrics and moved them to the bottom. I did this seven times in total. The last stack remained as originally cut. Then you sew them all back together, being careful to sew in the reverse order of how they were cut in the first place. Always keep a marker on your first stack so that you don't get confused. This was a great project for chain-piecing. You make all eight versions of your block at the same time. And, Julie, you were right. There are three different blocks.

With all the seams at those crazy angles, you have to try very hard to sew the pieces together keeping the edges aligned or you could end up with a block that you couldn't square up properly. And then there's that "random" thing again when you sew the blocks together. Some blocks are rotated to keep the "unplanned" look. It was a bit complicated, but it was fun too. Lois

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 5:42PM
lola99

What a fun cheerful quilt. TFS

Lola

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 6:07PM
lafonda_ranch

Beautiful!! I love the fun colors and patterns.

Robbi

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 10:18AM
luvtosharedivs

I stacked eight fabric squares.
WOW!! I get nervous when I cut through FOUR pieces of fabric! I imagine you have to keep a very sharp blade in your rotary cutter.

Again, I think you are very talented to be able to sew all those crazy-directional seams and to not lose track of where you're going or where you've been, and not get dizzy in the process:)

Thanks for the explanation.

Julie

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 13-15
My DD and I are going to post a quilt-along on my blog...
lindaoh_gw
Baby Quilts - may be photo 'heavy'
Will attempt to post pictures of four of the five baby...
beth7happy
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™