LED Light or Halogen????

pajkaiSeptember 29, 2010

Well we finally decided upon a PB for our new Florida Pool. When I questioned about LED lights the PB said his experience has been that they are expensive to replace and we should go Halogen.

We are doing a small lagoon type pool with a 4 foot sheer descent w/top shelf area for a small table and chairs. The pool is 14/12 x 26.

What's your opinion on this?

Tx Much

PAJKAI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rice_rocket

LED's should last many times longer than Halogen bulbs! Ask the PB how long he's been installing them and how often they need to be replaced.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 12:52AM
dalehileman

Safety might be a consideration. I suppose a low-voltage Halogen would be pretty safe but LED even safer. I strongly suggest transformer isolation however, and even a GFI clear back at the source. However I'll link this thread to a few fellow pool owners and get back to you

What does PB stand for

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 4:38PM
rice_rocket

PB=Pool Builder.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 4:55PM
just-a-pb

Led's should last around 50,000 hours. So if you ran it for 3 hours a day you would get about 45 years out of it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 9:12PM
dalehileman

Fwded as promised above from correspondent Len Glensk:

It all depends upon the effect you're trying to get with the pool. Yes, some of the halogen units save energy...but won't necessarily give you the brightest output. Some of the new units with LED allow for color changing wheels to run in the canister creating different visual effects which can be nice. In any case all systems should be connected to a GFI circuit to prevent any potential shock hazard to users of the pool.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 11:11AM
rice_rocket

Color changing wheels? That's the old school method of getting color from basically a traditional single colored halogen or xenon bulb.

LED pool lights are basically arrays of many colored LED's (White, Red, Green and Blue). To get magenta, the red and blue LEDs are turned on while the green and white LEDs are turned off. To get a lighter shade of magenta, just turn on a few of the white LEDs.

Because of this flexibility, many color patterns can be created with a microprocessor controlling the on/off state of the individual LEDs. Also, this means that if a single LED fails, the rest of the array continues to work (at least with the Pentair).

Pentair also makes white-only LED light that basically omits the color LEDs to get higher lumens (brighter output). This light has an array of 32 white LEDs.

In all cases, an LED is many, many times less likely to "burn out" than a halogen/incandescent bulb. Also, there is not a single LED Pool Light (Pentair, Nexxus, Hayward, Jandy, et al) that I know of that uses a color wheel. Here's a link to the parts breakdown for a Pentair Intellibrite LED Pool Light.

Hate to say it, your PB is not well-informed about LED technology nor LED pool lights.

Bookmark   October 2, 2010 at 4:49AM
More Discussions
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Spa motor capacitor
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™