Mixing hardwoods

raggiemomMay 16, 2012

I need some help. Background: We have a two story house. When you enter the front door into the foyer, the dining room is to the right and the living room to the left. There are two entrances going into the living room - one on the left and one straight ahead. There are also steps going upstairs. The dining room and foyer both have hardwood. It is the standard 2 or 2 1/2 inch board in a honey hickory (looks about like honey oak). The stairs and living room are both carpeted.

We need to get new flooring. Kids and pets have taken a toll on our carpet. I would really like to have hardwood in the living room. I really would like a darker stain and a 6 inch board. Anyway this would look good without having to rip out all the flooring in the dining room and foyer? Thought about taking it out of the foyer and tiling it. You would still see the two different boards when you come in, but they wouldn't be against each other. Hubby is really not in favor of ripping out the existing hardwood.

I would apprecialte any thoughts and ideas you might have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ajc9

Hmmmm....trying to picture this. I think it would work...I loooove wood, all sorts.

We just built last year and did 6 inch hickory flooring throughout. My kitchen cabinets are brown maple. I was worried about it but it turned out so pretty. They are right against each other...

What kind of wood for your preferred dark stained flooring would u use?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 11:18AM
raggiemom

I am not sure what kind of wood we'll use - just something with a softer grain (sort of like cherry) and in a medium dark color. If we used it in the Living room without replacing what's in the foyer, what would you do to bring them together? I had wondered about a 6 or 10 inch wide strip of decorative tiles between the two woods. It's just hard to picture this in my head.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 11:26AM
ajc9

My dad is a tile guy....they built about 10 years ago and did walnut everywhere. At the bottom of their stairs, he did a 12 inch tile and instead of grout he used a 3 inch walnut board in between. Super cool! Does that make sense? I dunno...I might not be worried about them 'touching' though? Just separate it with one board (cherry, or whatever u decide) going the other way and keep it simple?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 11:41AM
ajc9

Oh, I just re-read and noticed they won't be touching. Trying to type with a toddler tugging me who doesn't play well on her own!

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
Open Floor Plans: Will The Pendulum Eventually Swing The Other Way?
What do you think? Yes, I realize that there are many...
Lynn
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
Does your decor match your wardrobe?
In different places I see suggestions to start with...
laughablemoments
Carriage House garage door with clay siding.
Hubby is finally ready to replace the garage and walk...
lodalady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™