Questions about leaks & re-bar

durango118September 8, 2012

Hi

Our pool has been dug, plumbed, re-barred, and electrician work started. Waiting on the city to come in and do their inspection. I have a couple of things I'm unsure of. Hoping someone can help me here.

First off, the pool company came in yesterday and put sand down on all the new PVC. Seems to be two leaks, one in the main area of the floor cleaning unit (where all the pvc comes together, a bit away from the pool) and also the filter seems to be leaking. The filter leak seems to be from one of the fittings in the front. It's a Sta-rite S7M400. I called the pool company owner this morning and he said he was unaware of the situation and he will call the plumber immediately. It won't pass until these are fixed, correct? Seems we have no build supervisor or anyone that is coming by to check the work. I'm at work all day so it's hard to keep tabs on them.

Also, my plans are for a bench around the entire inside of the spa, however when I go over and take a look, the re-bar is only going a bit less than half way around. So, it looks like only 1/2 the spa will have a bench. I questioned my pool designer and he said "don't worry, the re-bar is deceiving, there will be a bench all the way around". I just can't see it happening unless there is re-bar there to support it. Am I missing something?

Any advice sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pools94

Yes. Most cities require the plumbing to be under pressure at least 35p.s.i. for 15 minutes. Spa benches and steps are not typically formed with rebar. They are considered non structural and do not require rebar. it's basically just a big chunk of concrete.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 4:10PM
barnyard78

The bench should def have rebar. Everytime.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 5:08PM
Pools94

barnyard78,
What is the bench supporting that you need rebar in it in a spa?

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 7:19PM
durango118

The two leaks that I was worried about have been attended to, simple adjustments needed. Inspections have passed.

The pool and spa have been done (shotcrete)...and the bench in the spa is indeed going all the way around. The part that didn't have the rebar looks absolutely no different than the part that did. It was exactly how the pool builder said it would be.

Looking forward to the tile & decking.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 11:56PM
thejimbar

Our 8 foot round spa had rebar supporting the outside circumference of the spa, but the "bench" and step out were shot and formed without rebar.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 5:08PM
durango118

Oh that's beautiful ! Ours is an 8ft spa also. Looks huge right now but it's still just the concrete. Waiting on tile. Ours came out exactly like the pool designer said it would and the bench goes all the way around ! Can I ask what type of plaster you have and the color? It's really nice.
Thanks for the photos..

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 12:13PM
thejimbar

It was a 3M Quartz product, green/blue blend, that has since been discontinued. Supposedly PebbleFina Bella Blue is a close match to this.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
Pool resurface question
I am having my pool resurfaced and the supplies were...
lbrandt5
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
My pebble sheen finish is so uneven...
Our pebble sheen finish was completed on January 1st...
Susan Scearce
Sponsored Products
Abetta Flex Sublime Super Cushion Trail Saddle - 20500F6BK
$454.29 | Hayneedle
Gelato Bronze Blue Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$174.96 | Bellacor
Kentucky Wildcats 20-Oz. Glass Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily
AICO Furniture - Biscayne West Queen Canopy Bed - 80000QNCP5-102
Great Furniture Deal
Lily Amber Fusion Jack Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$215.28 | Bellacor