A 90/10 Kitchen
My DH and I will likely retire to a property thatÃ¯Â¿Â½s been in his family for generations and which entertains visiting family. While we are still a while away from living there full-time, I have used it for years as a family member and experienced its function.
One concern is the kitchen. For 90% of the time, it supports 2 people. However, holidays and vacations bring an additional 15-20 family members. Given the circumstances, this will probably be the case if/when we take over, and that 10% of the time is very important. Thus, the 90/10 equation is what drives my kitchen ideas.
IÃ¯Â¿Â½ve worked in the current kitchen for a number of years now, and have experienced its shortcomings in handling crowds. When my time comes, the kitchen will be ready for a renovation, and I want to accommodate the 90/10 equation.
I envision what the kitchen will beÃ¯Â¿Â½ and here are my initial thoughts:
> 2 large sinks, side by side, to house the prep and cleaning that comes with a crowd at 10%. For the other 90% when itÃ¯Â¿Â½s just 2 people, a cutting board will cover 1 of the sinks to extend the counter space. In my experiences, there are many memorable family moments at the kitchen sink. I'd like to keep them side by side vs. a main sink and island prep sink.
> A double oven thatÃ¯Â¿Â½s strategically placed in rarely used kitchen real estate, but within convenient distance of a landing spot. When it is used, it will need to support large dishes of baked dishes to feed a crowd.
> A 6-burner range that can be used as 2-3 burners 10% of the time, but will accommodate extra burner usage 10% of the time. The real estate for the extra burners is minimal, I think.
> RefrigerationÃ¯Â¿Â½my visions run the gamut. At times I see a single, standing freezer and another refrigerator, because planning for a large crowd requires storage. But perhaps a garage refrigerator would better serve as overflow for that 10% of the time (albeit the hassle of going to the garage to fetch whatÃ¯Â¿Â½s needed).
> DishwashersÃ¯Â¿Â½actually, I used to believe 2 would be ideal for the 10%. However, given the number of teen/young adult family members who bring their SO who want to make a good impression, they tend to occupy the sink for cleanup (so sweet, eh?). One DW might be sufficient.
> A dedicated counter space for morning coffee prep and all that this entails.
> A dedicated evening space for bar prep and all that this entails, as well.
> Storage? I havenÃ¯Â¿Â½t gotten this far yet. The geographic area has many good local resources for ingredients and food prep. I hope to accommodate short-term storage needs without being prohibitive to practicality 10% of the time.
A flexible dining space (this is an area on which IÃ¯Â¿Â½m focusing in terms of furniture and placement not necessarily related to kitchen design).
So, if you were to design, or have designed a kitchen that...