Calculating isle width

jasperdogApril 4, 2013

Is the isle width calculated from counter top edge to counter top edge, cabinet door to cabinet door, or cabinet front to cabinet front?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EAM44

Are you asking about aisle width (i.e. the space between two cabinet runs or a cabinet and an appliance) or the width of an island (isle)?

The NKBA recommends an aisle width of at least 42" for one cook or 48" for two, measured from counter frontage to tall cabs/appliances. A walkway should be at least 36".

If you're asking about an island you'll have to be more specific.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 2:19AM
miruca

Excellent question. I just did a search on this the other night. The Kitchen FAQ's provides some good information on this and says to measure from counter to counter (not cabinet to cabinet, or toekick to toekick).

In my current kitchen there was a full 10" difference between the "counter to counter" vs the "toekick to toekick" - which certainly emphasizes how important it is that you and your contractor are using the same method.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 3:54AM
live_wire_oak

Aisle width is always measured between the narrowest obstructions to your passing through a point. If that obstruction is a refrigerator handle or stove handle and your island countertop, you measure the narrowest distance between the two. That's the most restrictive point, and that is the minimum width under discussion. It does no good to have a 36" width from counter to counter, only to have a refrigerator stick out another 12" into that space. You have to measure between that refrigerator counter and the closest adjacent object, and there is no way in heck that 24" between a refrigerator and any adjacent counter will ever satisfy code or work well in a kitchen.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:32AM
jasperdog

Yes, aisle width. I must have been tired last night. Thank you for the responses. Our plans are drawn for 48" between the cabinets. By the time we account for the counters and range that narrows it down so that we should still have at least 42".

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
White Macaubus and Sea Pearl quartzite
We are considering White Macaubus for our kitchen in...
poppy3212
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™