Windows treatments for selling

indywarMarch 21, 2013

Hi,

We are getting ready to place our house for sale (Indianapolis, IN). The house is 3 bed, ~ 1700 sqr ft, comp indicate price should be ~ $140k.

My question: at this price point, does adding curtains add value or help sell a house. We have the faux blinds in all windows, but I am wondering about the value of curtains? If I should buy them, what should I look for/stay away from?

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda117117

Depends on the house. Can you post pictures?

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 4:31PM
sameboat

If you are selling in the summer, maybe some sheer white lace panels? Keep it light. In the summer I actually remove my curtains. It feels lighter and cooler...

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 4:37PM
xamsx

You want to change your window coverings? Will the new coverings block the natural light? Are the faux blinds more in line with the furniture (assuming you are not selling empty), style of the house, etc?

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:27PM
rrah

Curtains won't add value, but may help the place look better. If you do buy any, keep them simple and neutral.

I'm not really sure what faux blinds are. Do you mean those temporary blinds they sell at big box stores or faux wood blinds? If it's the former, I would definitely add something. What do other houses in this price range have? Look at the MLS pictures of your competition.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:32PM
indywar

Here are a couple of pictures, for what they are worth.

Thanks again for advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door & Window Photos

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 8:08PM
sheilajoyce_gw

No, they look fine. The current look seems to be to use as little window drapery as possible.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 2:44AM
hoosierbred

Indywar, we are in Brownsburg. We plan to list in a couple weeks - delayed because we need to get some things done outside and this winter weather won't leave. :-) We are in a rural area and have new wooden casement windows with no window treatments. Our realtor said not to put anything over our windows. Yours look fine the way they are in my opinion.

Good luck in selling!

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 5:32AM
StPaulGal

I'd get rid of the metal (?) hooks on the doors that seem intended to hold window treatments of some sort. Other than that, I think you're good to go. I tend to think of drapes as mildly old-fashioned.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 12:23PM
kellienoelle

When I posted pics here for advice prior to listing, the resounding feedback was to add some softness to the windows in the bedrooms/office. I bought a couple nice but inexpensive curtain rods and panels from Home Goods. Overall investment was less than about $75 total for a couple of rooms and I have to say it did look much better.
I'll just put a before and after so you can see the difference of such a minor thing

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 13:02

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 12:56PM
hayden2

kellienoelle, you're absolutely right! Small touch made a world of difference. Looks terrific.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 8:08PM
jane__ny

Wow, what a difference. Trust your judgement.

Jane

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 10:10PM
StPaulGal

Wow, impressive! I love the change, and you may notice that I just said I found drapes old-fashioned. I take it back!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:11PM
StellaMarie

I agree that you should get rid of the metal hooks -- and the binder clip on one of the strings -- make sure that everything is cleaned up and looks good. Pull the blinds up when you show (unless you want to block a view, e.g. of a neighbor's too-close house).

I was totally going to say that you should skip window treatments, but thought about it some more (and saw kellie's pic!) and think it might be a good idea to hang *inexpensive* drapes, like Ikea Vivians, primarily because you don't seem to have moldings around the windows. I'd leave the door as is, though.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:42PM
nosoccermom

Yes, check out IKEA curtains and rods, and I'd also hang the rod higher to add height.

(As an side, when buying our first house, we almost bought a house because we liked their curtains.)

Here is a link that might be useful: curtains

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:38AM
indywar

Thank you to everyone who responded. I am grateful for the advice.

Rob

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 12:07PM
writersblock

World Market is another place to check for inexpensive curtains, too.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 6:55PM
nosoccermom

Yes, and they always have sales going on; however, many of their curtains are patterned.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:04PM
azzalea

When we sold, I made sure every window had some sort of curtain on it--light, open ones, (except where I didn't want the buyers to look out and see that the next door house was only 12' from their kitchen!). Curtains make a house look like a home, look less unfinished or indutrial.

Of course, every sale, every buyer is different, but I'll tell you this--I offered to leave most of the window coverings for our buyer so they wouldn't have to run right out and buy coverings for 40+ windows. And you know what? A year later, they've got all my curtains still hanging--so I'm pretty sure that the money I invested in those inexpensive curtains was WELL spent.

Cheap curtains?--I run to Marburn.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 10:28PM
tnanock

Be sure that if you do get curtains that you check with your listing agent about whether or not you will have to leave them. It stated in our contract that all window treatments have to be left with the house. I didn't realize that until it was too late, so I could have used several of the rods and the curtains in my new house but had to leave them there.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Home Buyers Please Vote: Would you rather ...
1. A $2,000 kitchen appliance allowance or any stainless...
belfastbound
Questions for buying a home with a septic system
I just came across an interesting article about issues...
cbrooks42
Emotional rollercoaster of home selling
Lately, this process of having my condo up for sale...
Acco
Real Estate Agent Fees
My nephew is selling his condo, the agent that is selling...
enjoyingspring
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
Sponsored Products
Oversized Multicolored Pillow in Magenta
Grandin Road
PK22 Easy Chair
Design Within Reach
Signature 1" Wood. Free Samples and Shipping!
$58.00 | Blinds.com
Bali DiamondCell 3/8-inch Single Cell Cellular Shades: Solitaire II
Blindsgalore
Lush Decor Lucia Ivory 84-inch Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Hinkley Lighting | Dorian Outdoor Post Light
$379.00 | YLighting
Illumine Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor LED Matte Bronze Step Light with Large
Home Depot
Cambridge White Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™