Size does matter...right?

littlehelen_gwApril 27, 2012

I've been asked to make a quilt for a charity auction and the requester would like the quilt made up w/ a wine theme. The reason for the wine theme is they will be submitting their home made wine to pair up with the quilt. So I'm wondering if I should make a large, picnic size quilt, or just go with a lap size quilt for two to cozy up w/ while enjoying a glass of vino? thoughts, suggestions...

V.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

Suggestion, you should see Marsha's 9 patch pizazz wine quilt. Marsha, can you post it again? It's a wonderful wine theme quilt that would make a great auction piece. The main problem is finding the right fabric but Marsha might have some hints.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 9:18PM
K8Orlando

V - that's really exciting news! I know their wine and I know your quilting... this is a perfect pairing!

Nine Patch Pizazz is one of my favorite patterns. It goes together quickly and looks more complicated that it is. People will love it. I would suggest you make a lap size and see if you are satisfied with the size. If you aren't then you can just add a wide border (or two) in a coordinating print to get it up to picnic size.

Are you thinking of quilting this yourself on your new lovely Bernina or having it long armed?

Kate

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:48PM
littlehelen_gw

I'm not sure if I will quilt myself or not...depends if my skills improve by that point. Thanks for the suggested pattern...I've been thinking of a nine patch something,so I'm looking forward to seeing Marsha's nine patch pizazz.
I did find some michael miller wine theme fabric on line, should have next week.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 8:15AM
magothyrivergirl

I have bought all my wine themed fabrics online from different collections, and was amazed how they all went together. I made 2 Wine Themed Quilts for Christmas Gifts - a His & Hers for the same household (Federal Hill)so they needed to be similar, but distinctively different.
The book is worth buying, especially for a special quilt.
It would be perfect for this occasion.

61w x 66l

61w x 66l

They like the longer one better - they noticed the difference! and mentioned it to me :)

I quilted them in wine leaves, swirls and grape bunches.

If you want to see some detail pics, I can post them.

I highly recommend reading/buying the book to grasp the concept of the 9PP. It is a fun and quick quilt to make.

Your friend~Sylvia (LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: 9-Patch Pizzazz

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 1:11PM
toolgranny

And, they're lovely up close. It is covered in grapes, grape leaves and wine bottles. I think it would be a big hit at a fundraiser.

Thanks Marsha.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 1:22PM
magothyrivergirl

The second quilt is 71.5" long (I made a mistake in the above post) These sizes are after washing using Warm & White to get that crinkly look. They love their quilts, and they are wine enthusiasts.

This will make a great & unique auction item paired with their wine.

My son &GF had purchased a pack of Wine themed FQ's for me from a quilt shop near a NY winery, which are not in either of their quilts, and I have not used them yet, so I have a good variety of wine themed fabrics if you need some help IDing some fabrics.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 1:29PM
littlehelen_gw

..Thanks for posting the pics...your quilts are fabulous and are just perfect for what I need to do. I expect the fabric this week and I'm ready to get started. I will take your advice on the lenght... 71-72 sounds about right for a quasi-picnic wine quilt. I just need to practice the machine quilting part...that's my current challenge! Sylvia and I are trying to work things out:-)
V.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Washing polyester quilt tops?
Hello, My granny recently gave me a couple of quilt...
anniebeagle
need help with big stitch quilting
Hi. I was sure that I had started a post about this...
day2day
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
Sponsored Products
Model 9027-89: Adelaide Bronze One-Light Outdoor Wall Light
$216.81 | Bellacor
Makam Oushak Rug 4' x 6' - LIGHT BLUE/RUST
$1,339.00 | Horchow
Blue Tanya Coverlet Set
$59.99 | zulily
Zaneen | Twist Wall Sconce
$440.00 | YLighting
Hampton Bay Lamps Mix & Match Black Iron Squares Table Lamp 15417
$39.97 | Home Depot