Using Condensation Water from HVAC to Fill Pool

Rob FlemingSeptember 11, 2013

Hi All:

Does anyone see a problem with collection the condensation from the HVAC lines in a rain barrel type container and using that water to re-fill pool when it is low. My concern is that the chemical balance of this water might be off a bit, but was just wondering if anyone had a bit more knowledge about this. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cbink

I would want to test that water before putting it in the pool. My main concern would be that it just wouldn't be nice clean water and may well collect a decent amount of dirt/dust along with it.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:48AM
c9pilot

We fill our pool from our 1500gal underground cistern that collects all the rainwater from the roof. Yes, we get some dirt and stuff, but that's why we put in chemicals and have a filter and a vacuum.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 12:32PM
huskyridor

Open up your evaporator coil in the attic sometime and wipe the inside floor base, it will have organic slime aka algae.
I would not recommend this manner of generating make up water.
On my pool I keep a 2" threaded cleanout plug in the female threads of my overfolw and trap rainwater. if it rains so much that the level attempts to touch the morter base of my coping I release about a half an inch and keep the extra 2 1/2" over my normal water level of an unplugged overflow grate.

C9, I like your idea for regular sized pools.
Mine is to large, I don't think 1500k would even raise my level a quarter inch.

See ya,
Kelly

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 9:17PM
keithw

I have been draining my AC condensation into my Koi pond for many years. It does a great job keeping it filled and the quality of the water is fine. You should clean the pan once a year by wiping with bleach and letting bleach run down the drain pipe.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
Pool resurface question
I am having my pool resurfaced and the supplies were...
lbrandt5
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™