How do I get rid of acorns in the pool?

helouSeptember 13, 2012

This year one of our oak trees reached a "critical" height, and we suddenly have acorns, loads of them falling into our pool just about every day. I don't think the aquabot would be able to suck them up, and even if it did, it would fill up right away after picking up just a small amount.

Any suggestions (we'll definitely be getting that tree trimmed!) besides daily scooping with a net? My husband and I both work and adding this to our daily routine is just too much, but I don't want to be stuck with stains.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MiaOKC

We have the same problem with pears falling in our pool. That tree will be going bye-bye whenever we can afford to have it removed. Pears are big enough to scoop with our Leaf Rake (we like this so much more than a skimmer, I cannot even tell you). The best leaf rakes have a scooped piece of plastic around the trim that helps scoop along the pool, and you can use that to get your acorns.

Or you might get a Big Sucker Leaf Vacuum - I got one at my pool store and I think it's a common item. It's only about $20-30 or so and right in our budget. You hook it up to your hose and it has excellent suction and a large wide mouth that could easily get acorns I think. Also works great when we did our spring opening (we don't have a cover so had a brown swamp) or when you have a large volume of leaves.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 1:54PM
helou

Thanks. We alredy have a leaf bagger (venturi?) so we'll give that a shot.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 5:04PM
goyom

Chainsaw or a pack of squirrels.

Your choice.

=)

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™