Does this need a border?

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLApril 1, 2013

Just finished getting this together....Currently, this is approx 53"x 68" (not that it matters) but was wondering if it would look finished without a border. I don't know that I've ever done that, but when I searched other ZigZag's, most of them didn't have borders. This is for the boy that asked his mother if she thought I would make him another quilt but longer and wider. His mom said he sleeps every night with the quilt I gave her when he was born.

SharonG/FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltingfox

I like borders, I think I would do a border in the blue tones you already have in the quilt, will really make the edges of the orange and white pop and compliment the greens. It's a beautiful quilt! I have never seen a zig zag quilt before, TFS!

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 6:28PM
teresa_nc7

I think either the blue or the dark green would make a nice border. Or maybe even a black border?

Teresa

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:44PM
quiltnhen

I'm inclined to say, just binding, maybe in the bright blue. I know you could work really hard and make a wonderful border, but I think it looks good as is too.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:42PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I think y'all are right...it should have a border on it. I was thinking blue, too. I would do black, but it's difficult to deal with black right now. If I don't have enough blue, I'll use green.

Thank you......

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:47PM
nannykins

Good suggestions already given. Whatever colour you do will be great!
Theresa
PS A really effective use of colours in this pattern. Bravo!

This post was edited by nannykins on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 20:52

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:50PM
calliope

I'd do a wide border in a deep primary. Sort of like the matte in a framed picture. It would make those fabrics just pop, and also give the eye a place to rest. It's a fine quilt, it is!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:04PM
loisflan

I think a border would be fine, but I also think just a dark binding would work too. A border would give the quilt a more traditional look; just binding, a more modern look. Either way, you can't go wrong. It's a great looking quilt, Sharon. Very nice work.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:31PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I found a sort of bright med/dark blue Kona in the drawer, laid it out on the floor next to the top with a narrow strip of white to serve as a flange next to a green binding. DH about swooned and said, 'The girls are righ!.' Now, to see how wide of a blue border I can get out of that blue. lol It does look pretty snappy! :-)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic binding

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:22AM
bev2009

The quilt is so bold and bright, it just makes you happy. I can't wait to see it.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:35PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I can't hardly wait either, Bev! I had just enough blue to give it a 4" finished border and it's on, but I think I've pretty much hit the limit with sewing today. I might pull out the batting and see what I have to use for backing though. A quilter can always find something to do with fabric. lol

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:58PM
polardreams

Sharon, a blue binding will be great. I love that tutorial you posted - can't wait to try it!
Sue

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 5:33PM
magothyrivergirl

Sharon - I was 'going to say' - no binding for a more modern look-- BUT-- your border combination and binding with the flange is very modern! I can't wait to see it finished.
I also love the tutorial. Since I sew most of my bindings by machine, this technique is right up my alley. I will definitely be trying this in the future -Thank you.

Great news on Katie -- keeping Katie and family in my prayers.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:50PM
nanajayne

I vote for a blue border but think an inter narrow border in white would make it "pop". Very nice and great for a boy. What ever you do will look great. TFS

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
Free Zelda Quilt Along to start soon
http://www.quiltinglinda.com/category-quilting/2015/02/16/free-zelda-quilt-along/ For...
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™