Does this need a border?

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLApril 1, 2013

Just finished getting this together....Currently, this is approx 53"x 68" (not that it matters) but was wondering if it would look finished without a border. I don't know that I've ever done that, but when I searched other ZigZag's, most of them didn't have borders. This is for the boy that asked his mother if she thought I would make him another quilt but longer and wider. His mom said he sleeps every night with the quilt I gave her when he was born.

SharonG/FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltingfox

I like borders, I think I would do a border in the blue tones you already have in the quilt, will really make the edges of the orange and white pop and compliment the greens. It's a beautiful quilt! I have never seen a zig zag quilt before, TFS!

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 6:28PM
teresa_nc7

I think either the blue or the dark green would make a nice border. Or maybe even a black border?

Teresa

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:44PM
quiltnhen

I'm inclined to say, just binding, maybe in the bright blue. I know you could work really hard and make a wonderful border, but I think it looks good as is too.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:42PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I think y'all are right...it should have a border on it. I was thinking blue, too. I would do black, but it's difficult to deal with black right now. If I don't have enough blue, I'll use green.

Thank you......

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:47PM
nannykins

Good suggestions already given. Whatever colour you do will be great!
Theresa
PS A really effective use of colours in this pattern. Bravo!

This post was edited by nannykins on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 20:52

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:50PM
calliope

I'd do a wide border in a deep primary. Sort of like the matte in a framed picture. It would make those fabrics just pop, and also give the eye a place to rest. It's a fine quilt, it is!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:04PM
loisflan

I think a border would be fine, but I also think just a dark binding would work too. A border would give the quilt a more traditional look; just binding, a more modern look. Either way, you can't go wrong. It's a great looking quilt, Sharon. Very nice work.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:31PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I found a sort of bright med/dark blue Kona in the drawer, laid it out on the floor next to the top with a narrow strip of white to serve as a flange next to a green binding. DH about swooned and said, 'The girls are righ!.' Now, to see how wide of a blue border I can get out of that blue. lol It does look pretty snappy! :-)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic binding

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:22AM
bev2009

The quilt is so bold and bright, it just makes you happy. I can't wait to see it.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:35PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I can't hardly wait either, Bev! I had just enough blue to give it a 4" finished border and it's on, but I think I've pretty much hit the limit with sewing today. I might pull out the batting and see what I have to use for backing though. A quilter can always find something to do with fabric. lol

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:58PM
polardreams

Sharon, a blue binding will be great. I love that tutorial you posted - can't wait to try it!
Sue

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 5:33PM
magothyrivergirl

Sharon - I was 'going to say' - no binding for a more modern look-- BUT-- your border combination and binding with the flange is very modern! I can't wait to see it finished.
I also love the tutorial. Since I sew most of my bindings by machine, this technique is right up my alley. I will definitely be trying this in the future -Thank you.

Great news on Katie -- keeping Katie and family in my prayers.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:50PM
nanajayne

I vote for a blue border but think an inter narrow border in white would make it "pop". Very nice and great for a boy. What ever you do will look great. TFS

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
need help with big stitch quilting
Hi. I was sure that I had started a post about this...
day2day
Sponsored Products
Slither Dining Side Chair in Blue
$99.00 | LexMod
Soho 4720 Red Traditional Area Rug (5'3 Round)
Overstock.com
Sweet Jojo Designs Boys Vintage 4-piece Airplane Twin Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Amba S 2942 Hardwired Towel Warmer - S 2942 B
$904.00 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. Camelot Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Architectural Br
$25.90 | Home Depot
Full/Queen Quilt 90" x 95" - IVORY (90X95)
$625.00 | Horchow
Hampton Bay Wall Mounted Woodmere Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze LED Powered Wall
$34.97 | Home Depot
Maroon Bordered-Lattice April Wool Rug
$159.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™