Gap between cabinets and ceiling

trailrunner_rockiesApril 30, 2013

We have 30 in cabinets (they actually measure about 31in from top to bottom). We are replacing the 8ft fluorescent bulbs and lowered ceiling with recessed lighting and perhaps a fixture. I know that often people use molding to fill the gap between the ceiling and the tops of the cabinets, but I haven't seen more than six inches of molding. We have eight inches between the cabinets and ceiling, and while I would love to replace the cabinets, it's just not in the budget right now.

So, what do I do? Eight inches isn't much space between cabinets and ceiling, so it might look odd. Would it be better or worse to fill that gap with molding? Any creative solutions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
erhm

We added a soffit to fill the gap between the tops of our cabinets and the ceiling--didn't like the idea of cleaning up there and thought it would look uneven. I think it looks fine--here's a picture:

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:44AM
elofgren

I think an 8-inch molding would look fine on a 36" or taller cabinet, but a little large above a 30.

I think you'd also have trouble getting it to blend nicely with the built-in molding on your existing cabinets.

Does the molding on your cabinets come off?

You might try a crown molding that doesn't reach the ceiling... maybe four inches, then another crown molding, perhaps painted, in the wall/ceiling corner.

Google Image Search

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:55AM
alku05

We did a crown molding and flat trim combo to fill the gap. It's a little less overwhelming than all crown. I don't have a great picture, but you can see it below. We got the idea from a friend's kitchen that had a full 4" of the flat trim before their smaller crown started. It turned out that it was a good thing we planned on the flat trim because our ceiling level varied considerably and the flexibility in the height of the flat trim disguises a multitude of sins.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 2:55AM
williamsem

We will have 36 in cabs, but a flat filler before the crown starts. It will all be tha same wood/stain so it won't stick out. You may want to check into that using a somewhat larger but less complicated crown. 6-8 in of a very ornate crown might not look right, but a flat piece with 4 in might be ok, depends on the look.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:49AM
rkb21

I think a flat filler with a crown is a good solution, just as williamsem suggested.

You could also try to use base board trim flip it upside down and then add a smaller crown. You can get some more detail without having to do a large crown and it won't be as plain as just a straight filler. I think it depends on the look you're going for.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:35AM
snookums2

Here's an example where a flat piece has been added to the top before some crown.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet alteration

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:00PM
jaynees

We have 36" cabinets and opted to have a deep trim molding along the top.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:53PM
newhouse123

jaynees...may I ask your ceiling height please ..thanks

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™