Soda Ash vs. Baking Soda??

swim_team_momSeptember 1, 2007

My pool needs 3 and 1/4 pounds of soda ash, and 4 pounds of alkalinity increaser. Could I just use 3 and 1/4 pounds of baking soda instead of the soda ash, or will it damage my plaster? Baking Soda at the market is quite a bit cheaper than the soda ash at the pool store, and I've heard they're the same thing, but the pool store says that they're not exactly the same. Are they just trying to make a buck?

Thanks to all who help me out with this one!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
repair_guy

Baking soda is a much lower pH than soda ash. You would know if it got on an open cut. OUCH!

The store is correct and in reality both products are real cheap compared to any other pool chemical. You could go to Costco and load up on a 50# bag of baking soda and accomplish your task. Just know that the ability to affect pH or alkalinity is less with soda ash so more is needed. Soda ash may be more but you'll use less.

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 9:13AM
lsbarkley

I assume you need to raise your pH and your Alk. I think using both is a better way to go. For a more in depth explanation try this post at troublefreepool.com also and see what kind of replies you get there. I know there are a few "poolgeeks" there that will give you a better explanation than I ever could.

Ls

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 9:41PM
sugargege_yahoo_com

I know that if your PH and Alk are low you can use baking soda to raise them both at one time. Add slowly according to how many gallons your pool is.. Then test if not where it needs to be add a little more and so on...

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
J.L. Blodgett abandons pool project
I wanted to send along a note of caution to all members...
ctm14
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™