Is it a good idea to make couch higher by changing legs?

shelendeMay 29, 2010

I have trouble getting up out of my couch because of my bad knees and a lot of the sofa's are too low for me. Has anyone ever purchased a sofa with removable legs and replaced them with legs that would be a few inches higher, purchased from those companies on the internet that sell furniture legs? None of the salespeople in the furniture stores ever heard of anyone doing that and I wonder if it actually helps make the couch more comfortable or throws the body out of kilter. Is it a crazy idea or something viable to do? As long as my feet touch the floor when I am sitting, how can that be a bad idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eclecticme

I've never actually done it but have often thought of it. It seems to me that they are making furniture a little shorter now. Especially at mass production furniture stores.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 10:03AM
wantoretire_did

I got the extra tall bed risers (7 additional inches) at BBB following DH abdominal surgery and put them under chair and 1/2 legs. Worked like a charm!

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 10:12AM
housefairy

I did it on the couch in the bonus room. One of the legs cracked and so I decided that was a good time to also raise the height of the couch. I bought the new legs at Home Depot in the molding department. You just need to finish them. The bolts/screws fit the old brackets, so it was basically take out the old and put in the new. That said the couch does not have a skirt so the extra height wasn't an issue with the looks. It makes the couch set better and I should have done it sooner.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 12:12PM
My3dogs

Just check with the sofa's manufacturer and see if it can be done. I wanted to just change the legs/feet on my H&M leather Chesterfield, and asked and expert on Hancock and Moore. He contacted the company and due to the way the legs are attached, it can't be done on mine.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 12:31PM
vampiressrn

I have a bad back and mobility issues so I certainly sympathize. I agree...check with manufacturer. Good luck with your project, hope it all works out.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair lift

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Any idea what this style house is called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
What do you have on your patio sliding doors??
I would like to change out my dated vertical blinds...
mary44
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™