quilt for a toddler

fincheloverApril 29, 2011

This may have been discussed before. I want to make a 1 year old toddler a quilt and I thought someone stated they did not put a batting in between. My question then is do you sew a topping and some type of backing together and that is it. Too me it sounds as if it wouldn't last very long I hope I am making myself clear. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindykg23

I put batting in nearly all my quilts - regardless of who or age of the recipient.
However, if you want you can use a lighter weight fabric in place of batting - such as flannel, muslin. A muslin 'batting' would make for a very light weight quilt - a good one to 'wad up & carry around' like toddlers often do!

Good luck! & have fun!!

~Cindy

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 7:26PM
nanajayne

I have made little people quilts with only fleece for the back, some I have put flannel in also. The fleece is quilt enough most of the time for a drag around quilt and makes it easier for the little ones to handle. They like the softness and cuddly feel. Jayne

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 11:15PM
dian57

I've found if you really want to make a hit, use satin as the binding or backing. Throw in some velvet and it's toddler heaven.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 1:56PM
Carol_from_ny

A quilt for a one year old seems like a waste. I honestly think the only one who really enjoys it is the parents. I'd wait for the child to get older and make one then that they will remember and love.
For a one year old I think fleece blankets are the way to go. The added benefit is when it gets time to give it up mom can cut a small square of it for in the child's pocket for security, you can't do that with a quilt.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 5:12PM
finchelover

for those who answered my ?. Thanks. to Carol I may have taken your response wrong but that opinion and answer you gave is why some of us drop this forum. Please answer the question as asked and not your opionion. I know many who make their toddlers quilt just so they can just "drag" around and enjoy.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 6:32PM
deannabsd

I have made my own children, nieces and nephews, etc. (now age 30-25) and they drug them around and loved them so much that they wanted me to mend them (No way). They were filthy from use and loving. These were all gifts as babies. Some had batting and some had flannel on the back only. This is before the days of polar fleece. Some were not used as much as my own children had lots of blankets as gifts from grandmas as well so... I would say make one. Some children get way more attached than others. And yes, those with silky corners got lots of loving and at age 25 is still on her bed :)

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 10:58PM
K8Orlando

Well, I was going to answer but since it would just be my opinion I guess I won't!

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 12:24AM
dian57

Flight of ideas: I made a rag quilt with novelty fabric, flannel and denim backing. I ended up with one row too many. I clipped the seams anyway and threw the loose row in the dryer with the actual quilt. The stray row went into the toy basket I keep for the grands.

Don't you know my granddaughter dragged that thing around with her every time she came to visit for weeks. You never know what will appeal to a toddler at any given time.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 6:30AM
sunnycentralfl

In my opinion: I wouldn't think of NOT making a baby quilt for one of my Grands. I still make baby quilts to give away. I probably got started into quilting by making the first ones for our GBabies as they came along.
Now, to answer the question as posted: For light weight quilts I use flannel on the back with no filler. I think they are called Summer Quilts.
Gwen

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
Washing polyester quilt tops?
Hello, My granny recently gave me a couple of quilt...
anniebeagle
Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22
I hope to spend a lot of time in my sewing room this...
lindaoh_gw
Need advice for quilting a thin top that I've had for 25 years
i was gifted a quilt kit when I was 13 or 14; it's...
alix4015
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
Sponsored Products
Rockin Stripe 3-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Wild Goose Log Cabin Duvet Cover Twin 70 x 88 Inch
$160.95 | Bellacor
Algoma Cheshire Stripe Quilted Fabric Hammock - 2789W-156156
$114.99 | Hayneedle
Chamberly 8-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Quilted Single Bucket Seat Car Protector
$79.50 | FRONTGATE