Looking for house/wooded acreage in TN

ryseryse_2004March 3, 2014

We are flying blind here but want lower property taxes and warmer weather (we are in NW IL). Any TN people out there who can steer us in a direction of nice (safe) areas, rural but near a city for shopping/hospital, etc.

We are retired, so schools aren't an issue. I love to garden, my husband hunts and we currently have a very lovely isolated property which we just put on the market. I realize it could take a year to sell so we aren't really in a hurry.

Would like to know areas to stay away from as well as ones that are suitable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

TN is an awfuly big state currently under a sheet of ice at 13 degrees just north of where I am. Not what I'd consider a ''warm'' retirement location. But , come August, the 101 degree days will make you almost forget the cold.

Your money will go further in East TN or West TN than most of middle TN, but a lot depends on what other things you are looking for. Have you vacationed enough in the state to know what appeals to you? As in, why specifically TN?? Family located close to anchor you?

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 11:08AM
scrapbookheaven

I grew up in Cookeville, Tennessee and loved it there. The city itself is half way between Knoxville and Nashville on Interstate 40. It is a medium sized college town with lots of countryside, so if you desire a more rural setting, it is still available and close to shopping, hospital, etc.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 11:22AM
ryseryse_2004

This is the kind of info I am looking for. Yes, we chose TN because we will still be fairly close to some kids/gkids.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 11:52AM
scrapbookheaven

The winters in Cookeville are generally mild. This year has been an anomaly. (Like much of the country!)

Lovely rolling countrysides and beautiful fall colors-I still miss that!

Any specific questions about the area?

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 12:02PM
cricket5050

Like Holly Springs said...Tennesee is a big state. You need to decide what area you are interested in. Do you want to live in the mountains, a small town, rural, city?

We are going to retire in East Tennessee because of the mountains. The property tax is low, no income tax but we have a high sales tax (almost 10%) The climate is cooler in that area than middle or west Tennessee but the whole state enjoys warm, humid summers. (except this winter where the whole state is cold - 18 degrees high today)

Have you thought about going to "city-data" official site and reading the posts of the different places to live in Tennessee? You can get so much information from that site since many locals read and responds to the posts.

This post was edited by cricket49 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 13:14

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 1:12PM
cricket5050

Sorry OP I just saw in your post you are looking for a rural area.

The area in Tennessee where we are moving will be somewhat rural with 8 wooded acres. We are 10-12 miles to Pigeon Forge which is a bigger area and about a 20 minute drive to Maryville.

Maryville is a nice town that many people are drawn to.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 1:30PM
DLM2000

RyseRyse_2004 - we are in NE IL and also looking to move that general direction but are focused on western NC rather than TN so I can't make location recommendations for you. I found the website linked below to be enormously helpful. You can get a great deal of information about almost any city or town (I have found a few small cities that oddly are not part of the data base) and a feature I really like is that you can compare 2 cities side by side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sperling's Best Places

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 3:01PM
ryseryse_2004

Cricket - the website is city-data.com. Caution - citydata is malware.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 3:17PM
cricket5050

duplicate

This post was edited by cricket49 on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 13:16

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:30AM
seww

I'm a regular reader of the blog
Fibermania.com Quilt artist Melody Johnson. She and her husband have moved and put their rural home on the market.
I believe the 1-22-14 blog post has the link to the realtor listing of their home.
Have fun looking!
Sue

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:45AM
seww

Oops!
Try
Fibermania.blogspot.com

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:47AM
dreamgarden

"Caution - citydata is malware."

I agree.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 10:23PM
jane__ny

Here's the safe link

Here is a link that might be useful: City-data

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 3:56PM
ashrafhaddadin

Hi! My aunt moved to Nashville recently. She says there are a lot of good properties for sale now in TN. She looked all over. I'm thinking of getting a place there as well. I'm just currently looking for more info online before I make any stupid decisions. Lol.

She recommended her agent. She says she was really assisted well and she got the place at a good price. I think it would really be wise to get a good agent that would really take care of your interests. My aunt dealt with a couple before she found her agent. Just tell me if you want the agents details. I'm considering getting her services as well. My aunt had a lot of good things to say about her. Hopefully it works out well for me when I decide to go through with it.

Anyone know a good company to manage rental properties in TN? I'm thinking of renting out the property I'm planning on getting.

Sorry for the question.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
trying to buy worried about appraisals
I looked at a house, liked it an made an offer. The...
neobuyer
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
Lady Realtor coming to house at 6:30pm and its dark outside?
I was looking up homes for sale around me on trulia...
tlbean2004
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware....
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware,...
Lizzie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™