Florida Sinkholes

dreamgardenMarch 2, 2013

Something I didn't know about Florida...

Would you consider buying a property near a known sinkhole? How far away would the property in question have to be in order for you to be able to sleep comfortably at night?!

Fla. sinkhole that swallowed man grows deeper
By Tamara Lush : Associated Press

A Florida sinkhole swallowed Jeff Bush, 37, while he was in his room on Thursday. Engineers say his whole house may be swallowed soon. Florida is highly prone to sinkholes because there are caverns below ground of limestone, a porous rock that easily dissolves in water.'

A link that might be useful:

news.yahoo.com/fla-sinkhole-swallowed-man-grows-deeper-082431378.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maddielee

Almost anywhere in Central Florida (and north) is near an existing sinkhole or possible sinkhole, so lots of people do.

What happened in Seffner on Thursday is scarey, but so are earthquakes, tornadoes, fires etc.

ML. (who lives not far from Seffner FL)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinkhole map

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:24AM
LuAnn_in_PA

Sinkholes aren't just in Florida either....

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 10:36AM
c9pilot

That story was the stuff of nightmares when it broke on TV last week - the house looked perfectly normal from the outside, but inside was a 100' deep sinkhole!?! Stephen King...here's your next plot twist!

Hillsborough and Pasco counties seem to be the worst - and a lot has to do with the water table lowering and agriculture. Many, many sinkholes a couple of years ago when the whole country had that deep freeze winter - the strawberry farmers were spraying water for weeks and weeks (from the aquifer) and then houses started collapsing - so it is also seasonal, believe it or not.

Sinkhole insurance is not affordable; sinkhole mitigation is questionable, sinkhole inspections are a must if you want to buy in prone areas. If a property has EVER had a sinkhole buyout claim, it will NEVER be financed ever again. A sinkhole addendum is part of the standard FL contract (similar to the lead paint disclosure and proximity to a military base clause, etc).

When you move here, sinkholes are just part of the unique Florida attributes, like earthquakes in California or tornadoes in Missouri.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:46PM
brickeyee

Probably one of the few times you might need to insure the actual land you own.

Though I guess you end up owning the hole (and a now not very useful parcel of ground).

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:23AM
writersblock

Article from The Guardian about sinkholes around the world:

Here is a link that might be useful: What causes sinkholes?

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Being Sued for Home Sale
We had our home built in 2003.It was our dream home.Half...
camsgt
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Planning on selling my house
We live in a 35 year old home for ten years now with...
4boyz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™