Cooktop cutout vs. Bridge surround? (quartzite) Help please!

lalalisa123March 29, 2013

Hello,
I'm about to sign a contract with a fabricator and have decided on White Maucabas quartzite. Have any of you had experience with a fabricator offering to do a bridge around the cooktop using 2 separate small pieces on each side of the cooktop with small seams on each side? They say they've had great success with them but I'm a little hesitant as I've only heard of cooktop cutouts before. I'm wondering if there would be a strength difference between the 2? (also, I will have a 30" induction cooktop)

(they will do either option in this case but the fabricator feels that the seams will all match up better if we do a "bridge")

I've attached a picture of my slab. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socalsister

Never heard of doing a bridge. Bumping to get more responses...

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:14PM
badgergal

I am not sure what you mean by the bridge surround but my fabricator did not do just a hole cut into the slab for my cooktop. He was concerned that the small strip of granite that would be in the back and the front of cooktop would crack if doing it as a single cutout in the large piece of granite. So I have the small strip at the front and back as separate pieces,that were seamed on the right and left sides at both the front and back. The seams are almost invisible. Here are close-ups of each side of the front strip. The back is seamed the same way. Maybe this is what your fabricator is talking about.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:36PM
lalalisa123

Yes, this is it, Badgergal! Thank you! It's good to hear that others have done this with success. It sounds like this might be the best route to get the seams right with the slabs that I've picked. Yours look great!
Thanks again!
Lisa

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:46PM
jakuvall

Have done it when needed, have one on diisplay. Not the preferred method BUT not really a problem either. Can solve layout seam issues AND saves money.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:56PM
murpharoo

What is preferred method then?

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:35PM
jakuvall

Seamless is always preferred. Not saying it is better.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
Clearance for full overlay doors
I'm finally ready to order the doors and drawer fronts...
weedyacres
48 inch WOLF DF Range, Steamer, Wall oven
Hello, I need some advice since these are a huge investment...
hkwan
Help with kitchen mat-awkward area. Custom?
What we would ideally like is a mat with a 45 degree...
akl_vdb
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™