What's the best pool width?

nylsor107August 8, 2010

I am in the planning/design phase for a Lazy L, vinyl-lined in ground pool. We are challenged by some fairly steep grade changes. Our PB is recommending we go with an 18' x 43' size. I was hoping for 20' x 44'. I am concerned that 18' wide will be too narrow. I would appreciate any advice on whether or not to go for the wider size, as well as some ballpark estimates as to what I should expect to pay for a pool this size (with installation) in Michigan. Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mas985

Take a can of spray paint and outline the pool in your lawn and see if you like it. It is more about personal preference than anything else. One end of my pool is 18', the other 16' but the length is only 36' so it seems plenty big to me. However, you might be struggling with the length the width ratio so the painted outline might help.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 8:37PM
azbabs

Our pool is 43' long. The middle is 15' and both ends are 22'. Kind of a lazy crooked figure 8 shape. The 15' middle is plenty wide. The shallow end has a large baja shelf so about 15' of play space which is plenty of room for basket ball. The deep end has a bench in the widest part. I love the size and wouldn't change anything.

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 2:16AM
nylsor107

Thanks so much for your input!

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 10:43AM
houseful

Here is my lazy L. It is 44 feet long at the longest point, 16 feet wide at the deep end and then 24 feet from the shallow end light to the "4" foot deep section.

In retrospect, it would have been nice to go a bit wider. However, the 16 has never been a problem even with the diving board.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 8:03PM
nylsor107

Oh my, your pool is simply beautiful. Thanks for the advice and sharing.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
New Pool Build Conroe TX
We're very excited to get started on our new pool with...
kands
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™