Las Vegas, NV

mugnainiMarch 10, 2012

Wife and I are thinking about retiring in Las Vegas. Tired of cold, snow, humidity, etc. We have a Soph in HS and a Freshman in College, so looking to move in area with decent HS, University, libraries, etc. Any advice as to what zip code we should concentrate on? Also, any general advice about living/retiring in Las Vegas? Other that high heat, are there other weather phenomena we should be concerned with? Appreciate your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmarlin20

It can also be cold and windy.
If you are considering buying soon, carefully look at neighborhoods since there are so many vacant bank owned houses. You don't want to buy in a depressed neighborhood, but on second thought I don't know how you'd avoid that either. Just carefully look at all the details, if there is a HOA, look at the restrictions and finances.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 10:26AM
mugnaini

Thanks. Any specific areas we should focus our search on?

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 2:49PM
marie_ndcal

Check schools, medical facilities. I use to live 3 hours out of there, never would I choose to live there. Where are you now and remember every state has good and bad areas.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 5:56PM
kirkhall

How does your Soph in HS feel about moving at this age? I can understand you wanting to buy now--housing cost is low. But, really? Moving your soph? Do you move a lot (military or something--so it wouldn't be any big deal)? If not, I might consider buying now to take advantage of RE "deals", but not move my soph. Stay put until he/she is finished with HS, then you can move where you want/where is good for retirees.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 12:33PM
mugnaini

Our Soph would welcome the move. We have done research on las vegas market; can get homes for good price, but there is a LOT of inventory and I dont know where to focus search. Looking for good HS and proximity to university. Anyone out there that lives in lv?

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
I must have HGTV-itis...
...because I'm guilty of thinking most people know...
jewelisfabulous
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Home Buyers Please Vote: Would you rather ...
1. A $2,000 kitchen appliance allowance or any stainless...
belfastbound
Driving A U-Haul, Towing A Vehicle Transporter
Well after all the looking and reading we have decided...
splais
Should we buy a home that was unoccupied for 6 years?
There is a cup-de-sac where a builder built 5 homes,...
coffeemama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™