Dead frogs in my pool

ms_minnamouseAugust 25, 2010

I keep finding dead frogs in my pool skimmer. So I got a Critter Skimmer skimmer cover and I'm still finding dead frogs in the skimmer. I think they're either drowning before they get to the skimmer or some may be too stupid to figure the Critter Skimmer out.

I think I'm going to buy some kind of floating fake lily pad for the pool for them to climb onto and rescue them when I see them, but does any one else have any ideas?

It's nasty finding them in the skimmer and sad too. They start to fall apart and it looks like they start to turn inside out, a bubble of skin or something comes out of their gaping mouths. Anybody know what that is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I have to assume you don't really want to know. PM me if you do and I can explain.

Scott

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:18AM
ms_minnamouse

Problem solved. I cut up some plastic baskets and made little mesh ramps for them to climb out of the pool. I haven't found anymore dead frogs yet but if I still do after this and the Critter Skimmer, there's probably no saving them.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 1:49AM
ionized_gw

I hope that works. It is sad to any of god's little creatures die unnecessarily and due to our actions so I share your concern. It may be that you will only find them in there right after rains depending on what you climate is like and what species you have around.

I would not call them stupid, nor are they smart in any way like us. Millennia of evolution have equipped them to reproduce quite well in ponds, lakes, streams and ephemeral pools quite well. Swimming pools, sadly, they are not equipped for. If they could think, they would think they have found a nice rain-filled hollow and jump right in. In fact, they have a much more base response.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 12:06PM
ms_minnamouse

They all seem to be Wood Frogs. One was quite large, I happened to see it and a much smaller one that day and scooped them out. They were "smart" enough to not jump back in.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Need advice on 48 refrigerator remodeling my kitchen
What 48 refrigerator built in looks and performs best...
mercedes316
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™