QOTD: longest time frame.......

rosajoe_gwApril 13, 2012

working on a quilt? I really don't like to use that word because I don't consider it work. Unless, someone has asked me to make one with their choice of fabrics which I think are ugly lol!!!!!

Jayne's Sylvia made me think of the question. My first quilt was a whole cloth and took me three years to finish. I wasn't involved in any other quilting project, just a working single parent taking college classes. I never considered it a UFO always a WIP and enjoyed quilting it whenever I had the time.

I'm amazed that Jayne acccomplished so much in such a short time. That is not an easy quilt to make! What was your longest project, from start to finish, that was not considered a UFO??

Rosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

It's a tie between two double wedding ring quilts I picked up at two different garage sales. Both were started but not finished. All the pieces were there. I keep telling myself I need to pull them out and finish them but everytime I think about it something happens and I never get to them. I think I've had the two quilts about 6 years now.
One of these days very soon they are going to get done. I can't garden this year so I'm sewing up a storm. I've got a quilt top I'm working on right now that's been in my head for several years.A light finally came on in my head as to how to do it the way I have it in my mind. I'm stitching every bit of it by hand.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:24PM
nanajayne

The longest was the first one I made. A full sized sampler that was hand piece (1978). I finished the top in class because the inst. said anyone finishing she would have the class hand baste it. I was determined and succeeded having it put together. I hand quilted it but it took me 5 more years to complete as I wasn't as committed by that time. I kept for a while but passed it on to one of my daughters who had block dedicated to her family.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:40PM
msmeow

I just finished a quilt that was started sometime in 2006, as far as I can tell. I designed it myself so I made the center then waited for inspiration for the next part, then the next part, etc. I finally finished the top in late 2009 then rolled it up and stuck it in the closet. I didn't get up the nerve to start quilting it until last Dec. But it's finally done!

My first quilt is a king size log cabin variation that is all hand cut with scissors (before rotary cutters!), hand pieced including the backing seams, and hand quilted. I don't remember how long it was in progress but it was probably longer than six years like the other one!

Mostly I think I go too fast...I keep telling myself to slow down and enjoy the process rather than sprinting for the finish line.

Donna

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 2:08PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Not counting the crib size whole cloths with the pattern stamped on them I bought about 20 years ago and the ones that have not been actively worked on periodically throughout the years, I'd say about 3 1/2 years. It's Uncle J's Ties, and I've worked on it little by little from the time they were given to me. This month is 4 years since he's been gone and wonder of wonders, I'm determined to finish it this month!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 2:54PM
tuppermom

I started quilting in 1987 before my daughter was born. I had to stop working earlier than I had planned so DH took me to get fabric for my first bed quilt. I bought the fabric in Dec of 1987, cut it out (the old fashioned way) and had it pieced by the end of 1988. I took it to a local hall and the ladies put it in a quilt frame and we basted it. They kept saying that since it was in the frame, why don't we all just quilt it. I said that since it was the first bed size quilt I had made that I wanted to do all of the handquilting by myself. It finally made it to my bed on March 21, 2004!So, from fabric purchase to completion it was 16 1/2 years! I had made many baby quilts and other small quilts during those 16 years but handquilting a queen sized quilt in a hoop on my lap was quite daunting!

Mary

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 4:19PM
polardreams

You have me beat, Mary! I pieced a queen sized bear-paw in beautiful batiks and black back in 2000. I have been handquilting it ever since and still have quite a way to go. I have completed lots of other quilts, including a different on for my bed where this one was supposed to go! Maybe 2012 will be the year ...

Sue

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 5:59PM
quiltingfox

My first quit, a queensize backwards pinwheel quilt, I started it in 2000 and finished it in 2008. I did not use the sewing machine with it, I did all the sewing by hand and hand-quilted it with a hoop in my lap. That's the longest it has ever taken me to sew/quilt a quilt.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 8:06PM
msmeow

Sandra, what's a backwards pinwheel? Love to see it!

Donna

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 11:52AM
sugeysgranny

I started a Baltimore Album quilt just before my grandson was born. He is eleven now. I work on it a few weeks each winter. It is my first appliqu� quilt and my first attempt at hand quilting. I have learned a lot and will have it done soon I hope.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
Kandu Coat?
I'm contemplating starting one, but the directions...
michigoose
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
First & Second completed quilted table runners I made...
This is the second one I made... I made this for my...
shihtzu4su
Sponsored Products
Vincent van Gogh 'Interpretation in Red Almond Blossom' Floater-framed Gallery-w
Overstock.com
Pink Delivery Photo Frame
Classic Hostess
Eames Aluminum Group EA 124
IFN Modern
Francisco Large Wall Mirror - 23.6W x 31.5H in. - SSM525
$130.99 | Hayneedle
Henry sectional sofa
Interior Define
Lambid 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Expresso Orange
$1,399.00 | LexMod
French Candlestick Metal Frame Shade 34" High Buffet Lamp