Backsplash decisions - what to do??!

katy-louMarch 28, 2013

So now that we seem to be getting the cabinets moving, we need to decide what to do with the backsplash. Cabs are natural curly cherry, floor to ceiling 9'+ ceilings, counters are soapstone - likely either Santa Rita Venata or Anastasia (have both on hold will make decision at templating) window sills and apron for windows over stove and sink are soapstone. Copper hood

The big question is what do we do for the backsplash? 4" or so of soapstone and then paint or tile? Just tile from counter to cabs? Tile would likely be something from terra firma or motawi field tile. Key to decide before templating as backsplash would be cut first and then counter veining will be bookmatched up the wall. Ideas? Opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

Sounds wonderful. If you do soapstone backsplash, I would do area behind stove as a solid slab, not 4"+tile. Here are some photos you have probably already seen.

This one is from House Beautiful and the soapstone backsplash is actually much larger/deeper than it appears in the photo. Perhaps 10"?

Traditional Kitchen by San Francisco Architect John K. Anderson Design

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 5:28

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:12AM
katy-lou

An older version of the layout but you get the idea.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:04PM
prospect711

For our soapstone and natural cherry, we used a slate corinth tile. I think it might work with a copper hood.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 12:51PM
EAM44

Dark cabs, dark stone, closed layout - I would choose a bs tile to brighten things up, and I'd tile from the junction of horizontal to vertical on up.

You might consider a mother of pearl mosaic, or possibly consider adding color. Both blue and green in the grey range would look good with your choices. Colors below are Vitrail glazes from Fireclay in Basil and Sea Blue, avalable in many other shapes/sizes.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 3:35AM
teachertile

I know most people on here are very much against having a small backsplash with tile above, but I'm SO happy we decided to go with a 2" granite backsplash and tile above. I think it sets the counters off & draws more attention to the awesome granite I have.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Countertop help - Soapstone questions - Matte surface?
When I see pictures of soapstone, my heart goes pitter-pat....
lawjedi
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
Caesarstone Dreamy Marfil~ new and beautiful
I tried and tried to get an accurate color on this...
deedles
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™