General questions about interest only loans

drcindyFebruary 27, 2010

Hi all,

A couple of years ago, my in-laws obtained a HELOC for $150K to remodel their house. My MIL told me recently it's an interest-only loan with an APR of only 2.5%. Thankfully, she's been making principle payments on top of that. However, the way she speaks of it makes me think she may not know of other potential pitfalls to these kinds of loans. Doesn't the APR increase dramatically after a few years, to include some sort of balloon payment? I don't want them to have a big unpleasant surprise in the near future. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmarlin20

Your inlaws should read all the terms of their HELOC. Yes, their interest may go up dramatically or the lender may call the loan due and payable.
We (on this forum) don't know ther terms without reading the fine print. If they appear to not understand all the terms, read the docs for them telling them the pitfalls.
HELOC are different than other home loans.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 10:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindyb_va

What cmarlin said. HELOCS are generally floating rate instruments, tied to Prime or some other standardized rate. If she is at a fixed rate now, my bet is that the line is at the fixed rate for a certain number of months/years, but at some point it will revert to a Prime Plus floating rate product.

Get your MIL to read the contract, or read it with her, to understand the terms.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Retiree - rent or buy home
We are newly retired and have a plan to sell our current...
waterlily_girl
How soon is "too soon" to select a realtor?
Not planning to sell until about this time next year....
lori_inthenw_gw
Home sellers: Terrible experience with realtors?
Hi there, I'm getting ready to sell my house and need...
dollhausimaginations
escrow account for a repair
We received an offer on our house! The house is priced...
karin_2009
Should we buy a home that was unoccupied for 6 years?
There is a cup-de-sac where a builder built 5 homes,...
coffeemama1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™