Beach Glass is finished!

loisflanApril 21, 2013

I finally finished Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr's Beach Glass quilt. In general, I'm happy with the results, but this quilt goes into the "every quilt teaches you something" category for sure. This is the one that teaches you how important choosing the right colors can be. The range of colors I used should have been narrower - the darks, not so dark; the lights, not so light. My husband says it reminds him of a DNA analysis.

I haven't decided on a home for it yet, but I'm sure something will come up. Thanks for looking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I like the diversity of the darks and lights, Lois. I'm thinking if you had narrowed your choices, it wouldn't have the impact it has now.....there wouldn't be a good 'range' of shades. I like it as is! Good job!!!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:26AM
nannykins

Ditto Sharon's comments
Theresa

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:53AM
littlehelen_gw

Lois, I'm of the same opinion as Sharon...,love your choices. It's really very nice and and I especially like your fm quilting, it really works with this style. Lovely ...!!!
V.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:57AM
magothyrivergirl

Lois~I like your quilt also.......but in the "spirit" of making Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr's Beach Glass quilt.....I understand why you feel the range of colors should have been condensed. I've read their books, love their modern quilts, but find choosing their colors and shades for an exact interpretation of their patterns a bit daunting perhaps because I am comfortable with bright and high contrast. That said---I still like your range of colors, and someone will be thrilled to receive this quilt.

I am anxious to see what you have chosen for the Transparency quilt -- that shading will be really important for a successful outcome if I recall correctly.

Their modern quilts are all about color and shade, and we can all learn from them. You are going to be an expert! Thanks for sharing what you learned on the Beach Glass.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:09PM
calliope

It is really striking, and I especially like the way you quilted it. The blocks are so clean and crisp. Lovely job.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:25PM
msmeow

Well,I've never heard of the quilt designers, so don't know their style, but I really like your quilt! Love the range of cool colors.

Great job!

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:37PM
mary_c_gw

I understand what you're saying about the range of colors. some are too dark to evoke the name "Beach Glass". My wife-in-law lives on the Florida coast and has a huge collection of beach glass, which I envy, LOL.

BUT!! LOIS!! This quilt is stunning! I absolutely love it. If it doesn't have a home yet, send it here!

DNA analysis - I love it.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:41PM
bev2009

I googled the designers and can see what you were trying to achieve. However, it is a beautiful quilt and I too love the lights and darks. If someone didn't know the look you were going for, they would think it was exactly as you planned.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 3:36PM
nannykins

Your plan, your quilt, your achievement.
A+ all the way.
I think we get locked in sometimes to a designer's vision and while we try to stay true to their idea, it might work out better for us if we add a little of our own creativity.
Theresa

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 3:57PM
day2day

It's lovely!
You made a beautiful quilt.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 5:01PM
nanajayne

I think design, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I think your interpretation is lovely and has become "your design" and not a copy of someone else's. Well done.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:57PM
petalpatsy

I like yours better than the bland one. I think it's great.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 1:09AM
lafonda_ranch

I'm haven't seen what it's "supposed" to look like, but I sure like what you have!! Very nice. I have a blue bedroom it would look beautiful in!

Robbi

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:57AM
lola99

I agree with everyone's comments. I understand the look of your quilt is different from the original design (I looked it up) but I like your quilt better. I really think your quilt is stunning.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:11AM
loisflan

What a wonderful group of quilting friends you all are. Your support is really meaningful to me. Thank you so much.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:03AM
donna_loomis

I don't think you should have changed a thing. It is beautiful just as you made it. Good job!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:46PM
quiltingfox

Lois I love your quilt! I love beach themed stuff. What an awesome quilt! Thanks for sharing a pic of it.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 6:58PM
csackett

You did a great job! I, also, love the colors. I have bought the book and this one is on my to do list.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:50PM
fran1523

Your quilt is stunning and your interpretation of the one in the book. Why would you want to make the same quilt. Honestly it's a beautiful quilt and you did a great job. Be proud; someone will treasure it!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:42PM
K8Orlando

Absolutely beautiful. I like your choices and think the quilt is gorgeous!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Official Retreat Sign-up
Thought I would start a separate sign-up thread for...
grammyp
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
need help with big stitch quilting
Hi. I was sure that I had started a post about this...
day2day
Just curious!
Does anyone have trouble opening some of the posts? Using...
nannykins
Sponsored Products
Jane Bellows 'Old Barn' Oversized Canvas Art (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
AF Lighting Elements Godiva Five-Light 16'' Wide Mini Chandelier
$218.00 | LuxeDecor
Natart | Bella Mirror
YLiving.com
Van Teal Triple Run Chrome And White Linen Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Glass Note ENERGY STAR 9 3/4" High Wall Sconce
$87.00 | Lamps Plus
Tara Square Ivory Square: 11 Ft. 9 In. x 11 Ft. 9 In. Rug
Bellacor
Lindstrom 1-lt Outdoor Hanging Pendant