The house seller x post.

palimpsestFebruary 24, 2011

So, in general, properties in my neighborhood are sitting for 6-9 months on the market, many longer.

Last year, I looked at a few houses I was interested in. One had an offer put on it by the person who was walking in as we were leaving. Another got an offer soon after we looked, and when we had lost interest came back on the market. Then I made a contingency offer on a house that they took because there had been no interest in six months. My offer was accepted and then another offer came in, which they were free to take, and did.

In the last several weeks, houses have come on the market that I have wondered about for a long time. I called about one the Day the sign went up. It had an offer on it the next day. I looked at another house and made an offer on it. It was one of FOUR, one of which was all cash, one of which was for over asking price. This was not a move in ready house, nor was it cheap. There was a third that came on the market on Monday, and I was going to look at it this weekend. Sold.

I had no expectations of being able to offer on it, I just wanted to Look at it.

So two of the three I didn't even get a chance to LOOK at. This is 2011, not 2006. Houses are NOT selling in days. Unless I am interested.

The realtor for one of them asked me to PLEASE look at all her properties because they will immediately sell to someone else, No matter the condition.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kats_meow

I don't guess you want to travel to my area....

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 11:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisk327

maybe this is correct, or maybe not...
but in my area ther eare plenty of houses sitting on the market for monthes on end. there are a lot that sell in a week or two. the aveage DOM is somewhere in between, but thats not really a picture of the market.

bassically when something is priced right, in good shape, it seems to move pretty quick. if there is some major quirk to the house, its in terrible shape and not priced dirt cheap, or its overpriced for the decent condition its in, it will sit.

it sounds like you're interested in the priced right houses that hit home to a number of people

also its weird, when I sold my house we did drop our price about 20k in the last bit, which was about 5%. that pricedrop for some reason brought 3 offers and a lot of lookers in a short period of time. sometimes a house just hits the "right" price and there you go.

FWIW, my house went for what i consider a very low price for what it was, but my was had a quirk. the buyers don't really know how good a deal they got and how nice some of the materials that went into the house are.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Do buyers prefer table & chairs or island in kitchen?
We are getting our house in order before listing it...
pinkpaula
Hall bathroom with claw foot tub, garden view but no shower.
We have a 4 bd, 3 bath house that I am getting ready...
gwarring
Specific real estate agent required by divorce decree
Hi real estate agents, does anyone know if it is legal...
martine81684
Considering downsizing Advice desperately needed!
Have you downsized? I could use your input. Desperately...
jcorn1
Emotional rollercoaster of home selling
Lately, this process of having my condo up for sale...
Acco
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Addyson 30" x 40" Bronze Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Chelsea Ivory/Rose 6 ft. x 9
Home Depot
16-Piece Jute Countryside Dinnerware Service - MULTI COLORS
$298.90 | Horchow
Floral Pattern I - 11" X 14"
Grandin Road
Inspire Q 40 in. X-Base Gray Linen Bench - E354C290W(3A)
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Stinson Bench
$339.99 | zulily
Banshee Marine Blue and Espresso Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$876.60 | Bellacor
Las Brisas 16" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™