White flaky substance on coping

stewart7795August 24, 2011

I have a white flaky substance on my coping (see below). What is this and how do I remove it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Calcium. Your pool is out of balance.

Scott

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 7:18PM
stewart7795

So what do I do to get it off? I assume this is my pool service company's issue as I pay them to handle this stuff.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 7:28PM
poolguynj

It is your pool and your issue. That you pay for a service to handle it doesn't change anything. How do you measure the job they are doing?

If you get a proper test kit, you will know what is off chemically and can act accordingly. Strips that have pH, alk, chlorine, etc... are not accurate or reliable. Many, if not most services are weak in proper testing and dosing.

If I were caring for this pool going forward, I would verify the water's chems first and correct as needed. Pool chemistry is not that difficult, time consuming, or complex.

I would also take a flake of the substance on the coping and drop it in some water. If it dissolves, it would likely be salt, If it didn't do anything, I would add some muriatic acid to see if it dissolves, making it likely to be what is known as scale, a calcium based deposit. Those are the two main types of deposits.

This doesn't appear to be effervescence, the leaching of calcium from the concrete surface.

Is this a uniform deposit around the pool or just at the well trafficked areas? You can try washing it with either diluted muriatic (3 water 1 acid) or white vinegar and a stiff brush.

Scott

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 6:29AM
More Discussions
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™