Refinish - Want smoothest & durable

Jayp21August 1, 2012

My plaster has become rough now where it takes a toll on the kids feet. This is my second plaster job and I want something more durable, yet smooth on their feet.

What is the best combination? Is it beadcrete or Pebble Sheen? I don't really care much what it looks like. I just want it to last a good 10-15 years and be smooth so my kids don't get sores on their feet.

I'm in Princeton, NJ, if anyone has an installer they would recommend as well.

Advice? Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I am not a fan of Beadcrete. It's made of glass and that has two marks on it already. Glass and pools, IMHO, are not two things that go well together. We have freezing temps which leads to ice expansion. Glass loses. Glass that pops off in the Summer is very hard to see. If the bead breaks, we now have a potential sharp edge or two in the pool.

Scott

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 6:42PM
Jayp21

Have you seen pools in colder climates have problems with beadcrete?

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 12:57PM
terriolsen

When we remodeled our pool, we were considering pebble tec and pebble sheen, but were worried about how it would feel on our feet. We decided to use pebble fina (grigio) and love it! Its supposed to last a long, long time (20-25 years?). It is very smooth. Its like a colored plaster but much denser and it has these gorgeous tiny flecks of seashell (abalone?) in the mix that sparkle in the sunshine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebble fina info

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:50PM
poolguynj

I will openly and honestly say I have not seen any issues with Beadcrete, I don't want to be the one that suggests it though. I can foresee the potential for risks and don't want to hear about one of my customers having an issue. I have a thing about glass and pools, as I said earlier. I won't suggest glass tile either.

Scott

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 12:44AM
Jayp21

Thanks for the advice.

Poolguynj, you steered me away from the beadcrete, as did another installer in the area.

terriolsen, my problem with pebblefina is that it's really just a harder plaster. I want an exposed aggregate for the longest lasting finish possible.

I think we've settled on pebblesheen, hopefully it's smooth.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 11:52AM
dredd

Jayp21, did you go with Pebble Sheen, how do you like it now?

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 1:58PM
clearviewpools

If you are looking for a smooth finish check out Eco Finish. A true plaster alternative. It doesn't stain or get rough like plaster and last 2 x as long. Not many people have heard of it, but I will bet in 5 years it will be a household name.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
New Pool Build Conroe TX
We're very excited to get started on our new pool with...
kands
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™