Armoire or cabinets to make a pantry?

terri_pacnwMarch 17, 2014

Any one done this?
We are looking at a house that does not have a pantry. I need pantry storage. I have been cruising Houzz and Pinterest looking for ideas.
Seems very do-able.. just looking to see if anyone here has done it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_cakes

Why *not* an armoire? If you can reconfigure it in the kitchen space, it would certainly work.

My dream is to use several pieces of antique French furniture as actual cabinets in a kitchen......some day.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 1:10PM
terri_pacnw

That would be lovely!
The start is...what style do I want to covey. Lol

I am actually a very modern clean lined person. But I like cottage charm.
My current kitchen was redone about 9 years ago. We went shaker style maple with one shade from natural on them. All Brushed Stainless. Glass mosaic squares as a half splash, and Corian tops. Kitchen walls are Paprika.

And I love it..but thinking something completely different for this house.

This post was edited by terri_pacnw on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 21:14

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 2:08PM
snookums2

You can find modern armoires. Much easier I think. I was just in Ikea and there are quite a few.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 2:22PM
zuponcic

I bought this ugly but interesting piece on Ebay--it is remarkably capacious, and I have liquor storage, large trays and serving pieces, vases--stuff--in there. It could be organized more intelligently than I have it--but it adds some interest to your kitchen.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 10:29PM
terri_pacnw

See that's what I mean..a piece you wouldn't expect, but it works..

Snookums2, yes me and the Ikea catalog are going to get reacquainted. Lol

I have a pin on Pinterest, that is two Ikea book cases with moldings and trims added to look built in. Might go that route.
As I was in the house again today wandering around taking pictures and video for reference....(helps to have your friend be your agent)
I was telling her about my ideas..and she thought it was a great way to make a pantry.

I like to have as much information as possible before decisions are made...lol..

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 1:16AM
lascatx

Makes perfect sense to me -- either an armoire, china cabinet or hutch -- depending on what you find and whether you want all closed storage, display or a "counter." I have one that I was planning on using as a gift wrap/craft center (has a fold down table), but my dad moved and I took possession of my mom's china and crystal. It is now a china cabinet/butler's pantry -- at least until I decide to sell or gift one of the sets of china.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 8:26AM
carree

I wanted to do precisely this for my mudroom. Had an imposing but attractive cherry armoire that would have held a ton of items and was no longer needed in its current spot. But for the width in a limited mudroom space, this is where it would be right now. And would have been so much more cost effective than new cabs for that room.

bottom line! I say go for it.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™