why sew extra seams?

lola99April 21, 2011

From time to time I see a pattern that I think I could simplify and I'm wondering if you generally sew patterns exactly as they are published, or do you adjust them if you have an easier way of putting the block together?

For example, I was looking at the Double Irish Chain directions on Quilter's Cache and I noticed that the instructions on the top of page 2 say to sew color 3 strips to color 3 to make a larger piece of color 3. Why wouldn't you just cut a larger piece of color 3 in the first place? The only reason that I can think of is that by doing it the way it is described you can then nest your seams when putting it all together - but all things equal, wouldn't you rather have fewer seams?

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Irish Chain directions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nannykins

I have done that before. It make sense to me to have fewer seams and fewer chances of not matching perfectly. Also less see-through of seams.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:29AM
toolgranny

Good question. I often make a pattern easier than shown. I also will combine pieces into one bigger piece when they seem to be cut only to add those extra seams. Since no one will see the pattern I made it from, who would know anyway.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 12:53PM
grammyp

I think sometimes they make the directions so you piece fewer types of pieces. Like making a bunch of HSTs instead of some HSTs and flying geese. But personally I prefer the look with fewer seams, so I usually change my patterns when I can. The exception is blocks for exchanges. I follow the directions so they will all be the same.

beverly

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 2:17PM
nanajayne

I agree that it makes sence to cut a larger pc. for 3 but I think that it is done that way to give the border impression to the block. Jayne

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 2:18PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Yes, if I see an easier way of making a pattern, I'll make it that way. I used to swap on another forum, but they've gotten so wordy for the directions, I doubt I could follow along. I can easily make the blocks to look like what they show, but won't make them using their directions. I only do the BD swap here, anyway. I don't understand extra seams if they aren't needed. The older I get, the less I care about certain things.

SharonG/FL-IN

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 2:47PM
lola99

Thanks for your answers. When I asked the question I wasn't thinking about swaps, but I can see that would be a good reason not to change the pattern!

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
Heart Blocks
These blocks are made up of 3 1/2" squares of...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™