New REA, new offer, new beginnings (hopefully)
To all of the kind folks who followed my original thread regarding my REA saga and talked me through my contract falling through, I thought I would provide an update. But with a new thread to signal a new beginning (hopefully- I have seen first hand how things can fall through so until I get those keys in my hand I am not going to call it FINAL).
We have a NEW REA (who was my old REA that I should have used from the start) and she has been great. The market here has been very slim pickings and when I started to stray a bit from what I originally wanted as an act of desperation, rather than just going along with it to collect her commission, she told me not to settle and rent for a bit if I needed to. When I said (in passing) that I could just add the detached garage (that was on my list of requirements) to a property, she called the city to double check and found that it may be a struggle with the historical society in getting it approved. The difference is that I felt like she was concerned about my interests and not just her paycheck.
So, we revisited a too expensive house (that is perfectly in our initial target area and had all the things that we wanted) and increased our offer. Like I told her, if I am going to overbid on any place, this is the one that I want to overbid on. In the end we decided that with such a major purchase, 10K just isn't that significant to warrant losing out. Plus my husband and I agreed on it, so won't instead be shopping for separate apartments like I thought we may have to based on where we were headed throughout this process....so you can't put a price tag on that.
So, until our contract gets cancelled at the last minute, lightening strikes the house and burns it to the ground, or whatever other catastrophe happens, here is our new house......drum roll please .....
(its the one on the right, we'll be the littler guy in the neighborhood, lots of bigger houses all around us)
Thanks for the advice and moral support along the way.