Faulty Check Valve ???

jprogoAugust 8, 2011

I recently saw a Q&A on faulty check valves in swimming pools and I couldn't help but notice a similarity in a problem I am experiencing. My spa drains each time the pool pump is off. In just a few hours it will drain down to the spa jets and I assumed it might be the check valve ( or something stuck in the check valve) Who ever answered the other persons problems seemed to have a very good sense of the inner workings of pool plumbing. If there is any chance I too could call on that persons expertise I would be greatly appreciative. I can provide pictures of my pool equipment if needed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golfgeek

jprogo,
Your descrption of the problem would lead me to believe you may have a faulty check valve or a faulty 3-way valve.
Most pool/spa combinations use 3-way valves to move water from normal circulation to spa use. The suction side valves are most prone to leak because they have unfiltered water passing thru them. Debris and grit can get caught in the valve and cause the problem you describe.
You should be able to replace the seal inside of the valve. Or at least remove the valve from the body and clean it out. Some valves have self lubricating o-rings, some have grease cups on the outside. You can clean and lubricate manually. It will depend on the type and age of the valve. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Would you recommend Fibre Tech?
Anyone with Fibre Tech experience like to comment?...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
Char-Broil Classic 650 6 Burner Gas Grill 65k BTU - 463230514
$449.99 | Hayneedle
Jerdon Mirrors 7X Wall Mount Mirror in Nickel Finish JP7507NB
$34.79 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™