Fairly Urgent: Needing help prior to pebble-sheen

planting_pamAugust 16, 2014

We've recently had a new pool installed. I keep up with forums and wish I had consulted you earlier. Our PB is not interested in providing details, and we have had to fight for every minor modification from the beginning contract. Now we are close to pebble sheen application, and I'm unhappy/concerned about three problems.

Waterline tile is NPT's Verona Borba (turquoise). Approximately every five tiles, we used matching Deco tiles. Center of each tile is diamond shaped with nine glass squares inside. Several small squares had minor chips, so tile guy popped them out to replace them. The new deco squares are each 1/8th inch bigger; thus, they won't fit. Even with less grout, no go. They cannot locate new tile. Any ideas on what to do now? I know it's not my problem, but I'm worried about them finding a solution. I'll discuss next two issue in later post. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
banana_fanna

I know you don't want to hear this but would you consider using the non-deco Verona Borba all the way around?

Is it the nature of the deco tiles that they are chipping? If so, I'd eliminate them now, once and for all. Or, cut a square of the non-deco Borba to put in the diamond space where the 9 turquoise glass are supposed to be. Not as decorative but it would break up the uniformity. NOT that I think uniformity is a bad thing.

That's a gorgeous tile, BTW.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 5:10PM
banana_fanna

I know you don't want to hear this but would you consider using the non-deco Verona Borba all the way around?

Is it the nature of the deco tiles that they are chipping? If so, I'd eliminate them now, once and for all. Or, cut a square of the non-deco Borba to put in the diamond space where the 9 turquoise glass are supposed to be. Not as decorative but it would break up the uniformity. NOT that I think uniformity is a bad thing.

That's a gorgeous tile, BTW.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 5:11PM
ktm250sx

Personally, I'd go with whatever is the easiest at this point and doesn't cause a delay. We had to make a couple of changes due to material shortages and so many of the options are very similar. While I know other opinions differ I wouldn't worry about the tile that much and the decorative pieces. To me, it's just not a focal point of a pool and I would want the pool completed.

One thing that my wife added the day of the plaster was some shiny shells, not sure what they were called. They put them in The Satin Matrix Northshore Caribbean (Pebbleshee equivalent). I thought it would be a waste but she wanted them and they look great and add a nice touch to the pool. We were supposed to have some antique brass lights in the travertine decking where two steps were located on the backside of the pool by the spa. Wires were already run but they ordered the wrong lights. I didn't want another delay so we put that money towards the shells in the plaster. You can always add another nice touch somewhere else to a pool which may be an option for you.

This post was edited by ktm250sx on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 20:46

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™