Things that might bite you after you move

susie100February 5, 2014

Mostly all packed; hoping to put household into storage this Saturday if weather holds. My question now: buyers did not want a home inspection. However, the hot water tank is beginning to fail. When they bought the place it worked fine. I had one of the heating elements replaced six years ago and it has done a good job of keeping the water hot. However, just in the last few days I can tell that something is wrong as the hot water does not last very long. I don't know how old this water tank is as it was here when I bought the place 7 years ago. At any rate, I am having a new hot water heater installed at my expense tomorrow. Is this the thing to do? What else can come back and bite me later? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lascatx

I think that is the right thing to do unless you think the buyer will gut the place or may have plans to install a tankless. Nothing says you can't call the buyer or have your agent call their agent and find out if they have any such plans. Let them know you will replace it (your expense but not upgrading) so they don't have cold showers in this winter weather and in hopes that everything will go smoothly for both parties. Doesn't hurt to let them know you are doing them a favor. Hope that will provide the good mojo to get everything else finished smoothly.

And BTW, this would normally be a bite the buyer when the move situation since they didn't request an inspection. But things can fail unexpectedly even then. We've always had inspections and always found some surprises -- sooner or later.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 5:35PM
ncrealestateguy

Most RE contracts will say that the property must be delivered to the seller in the same or better condition as on the day of signing...

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 8:41PM
stir_fryi

Hot water tanks usually have great warranties. Note the serial number and date and call the manufacturer.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 2:57PM
herus

Don't know if this is too late but I just saw the post.

One option is to purchase, at your expense and for the benefit of the buyer, a home warranty. Yes there is a deductible, but the warranty should cost about the same as a water heater.

So they are covered for much more than the water heater (HVAC, appliances, etc), usually for at least one year. They will be happy, and you will save time and hassle.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Emotional rollercoaster of home selling
Lately, this process of having my condo up for sale...
Acco
Would you buy a home near fire station??
We're considering an offer on a single-family home...
What qualifies an offer as a "low ball"?
Hello! Im on the house hunting side of things now! I...
karin_2015
what do you do with mail that comes for previous occupants?
I always get mail that is meant for previous occupants...
tlbean2004
Pond Dye Dumped Into My Pond and Stream... Water Rights Question
I never posted once in seven years, and now I post...
ncrealestateguy
Sponsored Products
4' Red Cedar Southern English Garden Bench
Fifthroom.com
Eurostyle Sandor Rectangular Console Table w/ Clear Glass Top & Chrome
Beyond Stores
Mabel Ice Scoop
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Green Shake 'n' Pour
$11.49 | zulily
Mini Sydney Leather Sectional
Opulent Items