What about these loan modification companies?

chinchetteFebruary 20, 2009

My mortgage company gets solicited every day by these loan mod companies that are "experts" and want to team up. It is not legal in my state to take an upfront fee.

Has anyone gotten a loan mod through one of these loan mod companies?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave_donhoff

Chinchette,

Most loan mod companies have attorney affiliates, and can thereby get away with charging upfront fees. Ironically, in no states are attorneys held to the same consumer-protective fee standards as the lending industry.

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 5:23PM
chinchette

When DH went to a seminar put on by Florida Assoc of Mortgage Brokers, it was gone over how it is not legal for the broker to work with the attorney in that type of relationship. He gave an analogy of a pretzel. You can bend it and straighten it out and call it something else, but its still a pretzel. However, I did not attend the seminar and am not aware of what statutes he went over. We just ruled it out.

I'm curious if anyone on the board has done a mod with one of these companies. They all claim to be experts. We did mods for one bank that solicited mortgage brokers to do the mods for them, but that was different. That bank was the one who was initiating it. By the way, that bank has put all their mods on hold until 4 March, because they are now waiting to hear what the stim package will be. A lot of things are on hold due to that. Hm. I thought it was supposed to be to get things MOVING.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 9:16PM
pamghatten

Most lenders will modify your existing loan when rates go down, for a fee. This is instead of refinancing, not because you can not make the payments.

Guess I'm not sure what these Loan Mod companies are claiming.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 6:17PM
ncrealestateguy

Most of the companies are claiming to do what you can do yourselves. If you can pick up a phone and call the bank, you can get the process started. These companies are preying off of the misfortune of people that can least afford to pay a hefty fee.
Just reserch the process on line, and go from there.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Should we buy a home that was unoccupied for 6 years?
There is a cup-de-sac where a builder built 5 homes,...
coffeemama1
Purchasing a Home with a Converted Attic
My bf and I are looking to buy a 3 bedroom with room...
bellemorte9506
What qualifies an offer as a "low ball"?
Hello! Im on the house hunting side of things now! I...
karin_2015
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
Retiree - rent or buy home
We are newly retired and have a plan to sell our current...
waterlily_girl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™