Non-permitted remodels after the sale?

grandmumFebruary 25, 2014

After the sale of the home. If upgrades such as remodeled bath or kitchen or otherwise was performed without a city permit, do the buyers have any recourse after the sale if something was not up to snuff?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rrah

No--the buyer should have looked into those items BEFORE closing. Did the buyer ask about permits at any time?

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 6:12PM
cmarlin20

Did you complete a disclosure asking if any nonpermitted work. If so, and you answered yes, you should be fine.

This post was edited by cmarlin20 on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 12:21

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 9:27PM
grandmum

Seller signed disclosure saying that no significant work was done without a permit... however, a bathroom and kitchen remodel occurred without a permit

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 7:20PM
gmp3

What do you mean by remodel? Changing fixtures, tile, etc don't require a permit in my area.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:05PM
berniek

Depending on the complexity of the renovation, a permit might not be required. Check with the permitting authority about the level of renovation when a permit is required. Be prepared to have to obtain a permit after the fact when disclosing the renovations.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 12:30AM
woohooman

Different states, different rules. But like berniek said, not all upgrades are required to have a permit. Usually it's just things that are structural. Like if a wall was removed or added or there was significant change to plumbing, electrical, etc.

One thing I do know is if a remodel that needed permitting wasn't permitted, it can't add value as far as conventional lenders are concerned.

For example: you added 500 square feet on the back of your home unpermitted. House was originally 1000 s.f. Now, it's 1500 s.f. When an appraiser goes to find comps, he/she can only use the original 1,000 s.f. comps because the addition was never legally recorded.

It still can be sold ( full disclosure) or refinanced but the lender will only accept the comps for the original.

There are ways to work around this like getting it inspected, paying the permit fees, possibly a fine(if you were the one who had the addition done, etc.

Kevin

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 12:48AM
LuAnn_in_PA

"Seller signed disclosure saying that no significant work was done without a permit... however, a bathroom and kitchen remodel occurred without a permit"

Please tell us the details of the remodel, as not all work needs permits.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 4:00PM
windycitylindy

And are you sure that the seller you bought from is the owner that did the remodel without a permit? If he didn't do it, he may not have known its permit status.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 6:08PM
grandmum

"Please tell us the details of the remodel, as not all work needs permits."

Kitchen- cabinets, tile.
Bathroom - cabinet, tile, toilet, plumbing
Entire house repiped with copper pipe (was galvanized)

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 6:33PM
dekeoboe

And it was the seller that did all this remodeling?

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 8:47PM
woohooman

Here in California(one of the most stringent), those upgrades(doesn't actually fit into "remodeling") would not require permits.

Kevin

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:35PM
nancylouise_gw

As stated, different states, even towns require different permits. What you described would require a permit in my town. Moving of plumbing, new plumbing, replace fixtures, toilets, hot water tank,etc. all require a permit here. NancyLouise

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:42AM
woohooman

Wow Nancylouise! For minor stuff such as what you mentioned??

Anything for the municipalities to make a buck, I guess.

Kevin

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 12:20PM
nancylouise_gw

Yep, Kevin. I consider some of those things minor too. I doubt the majority of homeowners pull permits for changing out toilets or faucets, but a permit is required. NancyLouise

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 2:48PM
writersblock

Yeah, the county where I live is just like what nancylouise describes, although they were incredibly casual about it till the recession began and they started needing the permit money badly. Now they cruise around looking for evidence, like an old toilet put out for collection, that someone has done an unpermitted job.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 2:59PM
kirkhall

Permit required in my city for just replacing an electric hot water heater... Lucky us.

The rule is, you need to go talk to your permitting office about the requirement for a permit in each of those situations, and since they didn't have one, and you bought the house, what you need to do now.

Then, you can think about "recourse". Until then, you don't even know if any recourse is needed or worthwhile.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
pros/cons of first floor master
I've looked at several newish (1990s or newer) homes...
hairmetal4ever
Home closing delayed or is it a wash-out?
Hello everyone, I am a new poster, but have enjoyed...
housesellerc
Questions for buying a home with a septic system
I just came across an interesting article about issues...
cbrooks42
Did you change the locks out when moving into new home?
Did you change the locks on the exterior doors or have...
tlbean2004
Off market for 6 days, why? ncrealestateguy?
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I hope...
heather483
Sponsored Products
Campania International Gribblegrin The Gnome Cast Stone Garden Statue - S-357-AL
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Make it a Pina Colada Coral Candle
| Dot & Bo
Butler Metalworks Valet Stand
Beyond Stores
Posh Plush Ecru 2-piece Bath Rug Set
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Espana
$39.20 | Home Depot
NFL St Louis Rams Football Oval: 2 Ft. 9 In. x 1 Ft. 8 In. Rug
$27.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: