Painted black chairs with light oak table

trinintybayMay 17, 2011

I'm having a light stained oak table built and would like to use painted black chairs with the table and at the bar. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SheeshareeII

What style are they?

Without seeing any pictures, I think if it were me, I'd probably want the base of the table black also.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:07AM
trinintybay

Sheesharee - I think they're called low spindle. This is furniture from the Amish.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:32PM
htnspz

Not seeing pictures, I think it would be okay. If the bar is very close to the dining table and chairs, I might go in a different direction on the bar chairs.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 12:05AM
homersmom

We have an antique table in our breakfast room paired with black chairs. It's probably more of a medium oak, but you might get an idea from the pic. We also have black counter stools.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 6:13AM
Dovetales

I have the opposite in my dining room. I have a very dark table and then very light blond chairs. I tied it together with upholstered seats in a great animal print that had tones of both the light and dark. I love the look!

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 11:35AM
katrina_ellen

Are you going for more of a country look? That is what I am envisioning. I think the contrast could be nice if you have other elements that tie in the lighter and darker tones.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 2:50PM
sis2two

I have an antique stained table with black chairs and I love the look. I think your oak would mix nicely with the black chairs.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 10:17PM
stargirl

Homersmom, do you mind telling me where you found your pig chef, in the kitchen?

I'm glad to see this thread, as I am considering painting my chairs black. My table is oak also.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 2:23PM
oceanna

Need pictures, please. I can tell you that I painted some chairs black and wow they became mega dust traps! Just my experience, I wouldn't do it again. Unless you love to dust.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 2:29PM
homersmom

stargirl - I bought him several years ago at either Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma. He was originally all one color (kind of a fleshy color) so I painted him to go with my kitchen colors at the time. He needs an update since we did a little kitchen mini makeover a couple of years ago.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 5:24AM
trinintybay

homersmom - Thanks so much for the pic. That settles the question for me. I love your look!
oceanna - We do have an antique painted black rocking chair and I know what you mean about the dust. The table is being made by an Amish gentleman in PA and he will not start until August so I have no pics. I've seen a table he made for a friend and it is gorgeous! This six leg table (42 X 54) opens up to 16 feet with 12 leaves and has the most amazing opening mechanism. The chairs are called Bent side chair and bent arm chairs and I will order them from a store in Friendswood that carries Amish furniture.
Sis2two - Thanks for letting me know you also have a similar combination.
katrina ellen - well, casual but not country. We are just finishing a new build and replacing furniture after Hurricane Ike. I like different kinds of woods and styles mixed thru out our home. I don't want this home to look like we bought all the furniture at one time or built all the cabs at one time.
Dovetales - I'd love to see a pic! Sounds beautiful.
Thanks to everyone for their comments. They really are a great help to me.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 10:49PM
always1stepbehind

I know you have received several responses but I came across this blog that had a picture of an oak table and black chairs and thought of your post. Here is the link--scroll down a few pictures...

http://emilyaclark.blogspot.com/

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 1:58PM
kaybee01

Very interesting idea...painting chairs black with oak table. I have a lovely harvest table with windsor chairs and have been thinking of painting them black because my dining and living area are open to each other (townhouse) and I bought a beautiful black cabinet for my flat screen tv and would like to tie in the 2 rooms...but I have an oak coloured hutch in dining area with table and wondered if it would be wise to paint hutch black or leave it oak colour. Thanks for any advice.

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Pier 1 Furniture???
Okay, we are at the tail end of a whole-house remodel...
dgranara
where to buy a high quality leather recliner
We need to replace our queen ann, high leg recliner....
Lynn Owens
Check In here, Roll Call
Hello dear friends! Have you made it here ok? Let this...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
No Windows in the Dining Room
My dining room has 2 large wall with no windows and...
aloha2009
How to respond to social backlash aimed at your mid mod aesthestic? R
Today's retrorenovation blog was filled with subjects...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™