Got an offer
Sorry - this is a long post.
3 weeks ago our contract with our old agent ran out. The day before the listing expired we got an email from her telling us - "I am sure you realize how bad the market is, and how hard I have worked to try and sell your home".
It was the first communication from her in a nearly a month, after we had seen only one looker in 3 months of listing with her.
After replying that we were not going to renew with her, we got a phone call from her - first time we'd spoken since we listed with her. She had a littany of excuses - including "people don't like the neighborhood, community, and county", "The house is too old to be new, and too new to be quaint", and our favorite, "no one is selling anywhere".
Honestly, if she had shown that kind of effort while the listing was in force, I think we would have been gone already...
We were so discouraged by all the negative stuff we'd been told, and so little interest in the house, that we decided not to list again until May or June, if at all.
The day after the listing expired we got calls from 4 realtors, all of whom wanted to list the house. We told them thanks, but we wanted to wait and take a breather from having the house on constant stand by and getting no interest.
One of persisted, and asked if she could swing by the house on her way home, saying she didn't care if was "picked up or a sty - I just want to see if I think I have interested clients".
Well, we gave in and let her come. Since it was warm here, we had started doing the early spring yard work, and the place was a mess, I mean AWFUL.
When she came, she said the house was very nice and should have sold already. Naturally, we've all heard that from realtors who are looking for a listing, so we took it with a grain of salt, and told her we might call her in a few months if we decided to list again.
She called us the next day and told us she was sure she could sell the house - would we list with her if she agreed the listing could be cancelled at any time? Then she told us our home was nicer, and better kept than 90% of the homes in our area that she has shown and she was surprised it has not sold because the price was attractive.
Honestly, we wanted to tell her no. I know it was only on the market 3 months, but we had heard so many negative things - bad market, undesirable area, too far in the country, price needs to be lower - you name it, that we just wanted to let it go for a while. But we told her OK, we will try it for a month.
We're glad we did. Whatever she is doing, it works. We have had 8 visitors in just 17 days, and we just got an offer. It is lower than we wanted, but close enough that we are going to counter it.
We realize now that we let our old agent discourage us both with her lack of effort and her excuses. Even though we thought we did a thorough job interviewing agents the first time, we obviously didn't. The sad thing is, the new agent tells us the house was already priced at the low end of its value, and should have been priced higher to leave us more negotiating room. Too late for that now.
So the message here is - hang in there. And be damn sure you get a good realtor who doesn't make excuses.