How do I lower water without a main drain

SpeckledhenAugust 23, 2012

Hello All - My CYA is over 100 and I need to dump some water and add fresh. My problem is that I don't have a main drain so I can only lower the water to the lowest point on the skimmers (2). I don't think that will be enough. I was thinking of getting a fitting to plug into the 1.5" line in the bottom of my skimmers that can have a flexible hose attached to it. I would then snake the hose out of the skimmer door and down into the pool. What does anyone think??

My info is as follows: 16x23 IG vinyl. 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 15,500 gallons, chlorinator (the culprit). My CYA is about 125. Any idea how much water needs to be exchanged? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

You can rent a pump at a tool rental store. Some Home Depots have a rental section too. Then refill and restart the pool.

Scott

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:43AM
Speckledhen

Thanks Scott. I have a sump pump that I can use, but that still leaves me with the issue of running the output to the street. It also only has an attachment for a garden hose. I was hoping to use the pool pump and the discharge hose that are already in place. Can I run the sump pump into the skimmer? Thanks!

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:19PM
poolguynj

"Can I run the sump pump into the skimmer? "

Not the discharge side, the suction side,

I do recommend automatic style pumps. If you have a swim out with a step, that step is the perfect height.

They usually have garden style hose connections. Run it where ice formed at the discharge area won't create a nuisance or hazardous condition.

Snow loads on covers displace water until the ice on the surface can support it. Water displaced by a snow load needs to be kept off tile. Automatic pumps handle that. That's important when it's cold outside.

Scott

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Almost there, infinity edge
Waiting on plaster and landscaping. Almost there......
poolmd
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™