Installing a pool in a sloped yard

Bce2stillAugust 24, 2013

We have been dealing with various pool companies since mid-February trying to have a pool installed in our yard. It took time to get quotes (sometimes we never heard back) for both pools and retaining walls. We then tried to go the route of having an above ground pool (Radiant pool) that can be installed in the ground. We met with a company, and after 3 1/2 months we got a full quote of $90k for the entire project of the 18x32 4' depth pool, patio and wall surround. Obviously this is way more then we want to spend for an above ground pool. The wall alone was $58k and a second quote at $39k. Our pool guy says we have no other design options with this particular pool unless we did a decking surround and that it would cost is just as much (I find that hard to believe)

We are back to the drawing board and have new pool companies coming out to quote and give us design ideas.

Does anyone have any pictures of pools installed on a hill/sloped yard they would like to share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c9pilot

My yard did not have a steep slope, but I did want to avoid the slumping that the rest of the yards have been experiencing, so we put in some amount of "terracing" around the pool.
The whole plan changed as we went along - first thing right away, the builder realized that we needed to drop the whole pool 4 inches. Apparently the city doesn't like the raised beam more than 24" high, so if it was higher, we'd have to get it engineered and a different approval process.
Later we realized that the side yard was much higher than the backyard, so we had to add more stairs and another retaining wall.
The whole thing was under $60K and that's with the expensive Artistic Shellock pavers and coping.
If you click on my pool blog progress-in-pix and scroll down to the very last picture, it gives a good idea of how we dealt with the slope.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Blue Pool Blog

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 3:36PM
chatterbox724

Here are some pics of our pool on a slope. Keep in mind that the sod is new in these pics, so it doesn't look as nice as it would once it's all grown in. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:27PM
chatterbox724

view of pool from front

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:28PM
chatterbox724

view from side yard

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
lindamarie
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™