Speaking of Redwork.......

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLMarch 1, 2012

I've been meaning to tell you about Redwork with a Twist by Pat Sloan. I bought it a couple weeks ago with a gift cert and I just love it! It gives so much info (Rosa) and I really like how she has incorporated the embroidered blocks into quilts or for borders. Anyone else have this book?

I couldn't access her site, but found a review of this book....plus a couple pictures.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: book review

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbara_l

I enjoy doing redwork,because you can just do it any place. The book looks really interesting and will check it out at our local bookstore.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 6:23AM
lafonda_ranch

Growing up, I did a lot of embroidery and still love it! I especially love the look of redwork. I just wish I had more time to do more handwork. I've saved that book in my Amazon account for then I have enough for free shipping.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 8:26AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Even though I started embroidering at a very young age, I enjoyed reading her basics and the various ways to accomplish a desired end result.

Around Christmas time I saw a big container of poinettias with trailing vines done in what she called Reverse Redwork. Red fabric and white thread......it was gorgeous!! I want to try doing bamboo on green fabric....I think it would be awesome. DH is skeptical....doesn't matter, I'm doing it anyway. @:)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:23AM
barbara_l

Say Sharon... just go for it and amaze yourself!

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 8:18PM
tuppermom

Thanks for posting this book information Sharon.
I e-mailed our guild librarian to see if she can get it for the guild library.

Mary

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:42PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

You're welcome, Mary. I think it's an excellent source of embroidery information with a lot of nice sized patterns.

Barbara, What will be amazing is if I can get the pattern onto the dark green background. Might have to have DH draw it on. lol That'll show him. heehee

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 8:55AM
quiltingfox

Sharon is Redwork the same thing as embroidery or is it something different?

Best to you and thanks,
Sandra

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 12:33PM
rosajoe_gw

Sharon, thank you so much, I really, really, really need another book lol!! The embroidered doll clothes are amazing!I remember embroidering jeans and denim shirts in the 70's, but nothing like they do!!!
I love Pat Sloan's books and I think she pays attention to detail. Her free Valor quilt in this link is gorgeous! After Marsha started posting about total machine binding (which I am so bad at - mine looks like a 10 yo did it lol) I found a tutorial & video that Pat had posted on this site too. The bag pattern would also look good with embroidery on the pocket. I really like the ribbon embroidery too.

I have a new quilt book and I really like the patterns, but I'm like you, the author doesn't give the size for the units and some of the blocks. I like to square as I go and it really annoys me. I write the unit sizes in the book as I go, but that is THEIR job!
Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: PatSloanFree Patterns

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 12:36PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Sandra, Yes, it's embroidery.....they call it redwork because the entire pattern is done in red embroidery thread (or whatever kind you're using) and the background is white. I've also seen Bluework, so I suppose you can use any color you prefer. But, when I saw what my friend made using white thread on red fabric, I really liked it.

Here is a link that might be useful: googled pics of redwork

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 7:08PM
rosajoe_gw

Sharon I have never seen white (or any color) embroidery on a colored fabric.

Reverse redwork hummmmmmmmmmmmm! I'm going to check it out!
Rosa

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 1:37PM
quiltingfox

Thanks for explaining that Sharon. I have done a little embroidery work, but never Redwork. Thanks for sharing the link with examples of it. I can see how it really makes the picture pop and how it could be really pretty.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 6:49PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Rosa, I just knew you should be looking at more books! I might have to do something about getting a lightbox when using a dark fabric though.

Go for it Sandra! Make a block. @:)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™