Scott-PoolGuyNJ need help! Flooded Out

thejimbarAugust 31, 2011

Scott: The worst has happened to us. House and pool overrun by flood Sunday night. Water has receded away from house and pool, but pool is full of flood water. Won't have power until at least the weekend to run filter. What should I do in the meantime? No real mud or debris, just dirty water and leaves. What should game plan be after power comes back on. just want to get water clear so I can winterized and close it. God I hate saying that, usually keep it open thru October....figuring in spring will drain when water table is better and acid wash then, and refill.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golfgeek

thejimbar,
Start by putting in substantial amount of chlorine or bleach until power is back on. Don't know size of your pool but 6-12 gallons wouldn't hurt.
While I don't winterize pools here in CA. I would think it would be best to clean up the pool and try to clear the water before winterizing.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 2:31PM
goyom

Get a net and start pulling that crap out.
Have running water ? Get a hose powered leaf bag at home depot, they are 18 bucks. Like this : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FeBqeU0DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And yeah shock the crap out of it, and stir it up really good and stir/ brush it a few times a day.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 6:10PM
poolguynj

Scooping the leaves with a scoop net is #1.

Do you have the test results from your last testing?

I need pH, alk, and CYA. I also need the size. A big bottle of Clorox is about equal to a pound of Cal Hypo of Dichlor. When adding it, pour most in the deep end and brush. Add enough to bring the pool to shock level. That would be about 75% of the CYA level. Then add about a quart per day per 20K gallons. Do this daily and brush it and skim it daily,

Don't panic. It is what it is and we can only do so much.

Scott

Scott

I would hold off on the leaf eater. There is probably enough water in the pool.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 6:08AM
thejimbar

Scott, email me your phone number, thejimbar@optonline.net. Easier to talk. Power on, can run pump tomorrow.
Thanks,

Jim

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 7:18AM
poolguynj

done

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™