This one came home...

mary_c_gwMarch 16, 2012

I made this quilt for my grandmother about 6 years ago. Shortly afterwards she moved to an assisted living facility, and then early last year to a nursing facility.

She rarely actually used the quilt, but it was proudly displayed in her room.

She died late last year, a few weeks before her 100th birthday. Now the quilt has come back to me. The crease will fall out soon. The colors are truer in the 2nd photo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missflippins

That is a very pretty quilt! It's so nice the quilt and no doubt a lot of memories came back to you.
Best wishes, Corinne

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:10PM
chickie1

This is a beautiful quilt. I would cherish this quilt if it belonged to my grandmother. My grandmother died three years ago and I miss her every day. She lived next door to me and she was more like a mother than grandmother to me.She gave me a crochet bedspread but she was a quilter. I love the bedspread but wish she gave me a quilter instead.
darlene

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 11:05PM
faytay

Definately one to be cherished. Beautiful quilt with a lovely story.

Faye

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 6:44AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Mary, I hope you'll use this quilt and not 'save' it. I'm thinking it will give you comfort and loving memories of your grandmother.....besides that, it's beautiful.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 8:03AM
msmeow

Mary, I'm glad you got it back, and that you know she loved it!

Donna

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 8:05AM
teresa_nc7

What great memories with such a lovely quilt. I'd put it in a place you pass by often to remind you of her.

Teresa

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 8:34AM
magothyrivergirl

I think people in your Grandmother's generation like to keep their 'special items' in pristine condition and not use them, because they lived in a time when 'special things' were not abundant. To have a quilt you made her, that she could display proudly, was an honor and brought her much joy. I am so happy this quilt has come home to you Mary.
I also would keep it out in an area you see often , use it when you get chilly, and thing fondly of your Grandmother.
Very sweet :)

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 9:23AM
rosajoe_gw

Beautiful! I'm so glad you got it back. I crocheted my mother a circular shawl and it took me quit a few hours to make it. Her sister was going through dialysis and mother loaned her the shawl one day while visiting.
My mother never got it back and I have never seen any of the family wear it, so my thoughts are it was stolen.

I agree, use it, my mother and one of my sisters loves my quilts and they never use them!
Rosa

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
Spider Web
And I still have lots of scraps!!! The first border...
nannykins
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
Harvest Moon Quilt
This is my first attempt at adding a photo. I just...
Nancy Morris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™