has anyone tried non-toxic hot tub maintenance kits?

coreynAugust 26, 2009

Hi everyone,

We are looking into putting in a hot tub, and have been looking at the non-toxic alternatives to the common hot tub chemicals that are used. Does anyone out there have any personal experience with any of these? For instance, "Ahhnatural" brand natural hot-tub maintenance? We haven't been able to find any 3rd party reviews of this or similar products outside of the words of praise that the companies list on their own sites. Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shabmerch

Hi,

I've got the same question... Do you have any insight into this 2 years later?
Thanks!

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 10:21AM
poolguynj

I don't know that is a known safe and economical alternative sanitizer other than those EPA approved for use by commercial entities. If there were, I would likely know about it.

Scott

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 1:56AM
goyom

Well here is the site for the ahh..

www.ahhnatural.com

I think this from the FAQ explains the sanitizer.

Q: After a party with heavy bather load and the spa water is cloudy, should I add chemicals?
A: NO. First be sure your pH is between 6.5 and 8.5. Always use ahhUP and ahhDown to adjust pH. Clean your pad and filter according to instructions and add 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Run your pump on high for a few hours and your water will be clear and odor free!

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 1:55PM
poolguynj

hmm, vitamin C is pH down? Baking soda is pH Up? Vitamin C will lower the pH but its an iron stain remover. Baking soda is an alkalinity increaser. So ahhUp's price vs a 12 lb. bag of Arm and Hammer is $8 in Walmart. Lol.

"OH BY THE WAY. The EPA requires us to recommend periodic shocks of Chlorine or Bromine (classified as pesticides by the way! err!). We say use your common sense, don't bathe in any water that is suspect - including chemical soup! "

No the EPA doesn't and no, neither are a pesticide but rather a sanitizer. Algaecides are pesticides.

Peroxide will burn your skin. Peroxide is an oxidizer, not a sanitizer.

Because it uses peroxide as a shock, I suspect it is a biaguinide based system, which may be fine, but costs more.

Sea salt doesn't do any more than regular pool salt would.

Scott

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Almost there, infinity edge
Waiting on plaster and landscaping. Almost there......
poolmd
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™