Living room layout help...what to buy!?!? (open concept)

tkfinn97May 5, 2013

We are at the point that we are ready to buy new furniture for the living room, but I have no idea what to get! I am planning on floating the furniture and adding a rug to anchor it. Here is my floor plan.

Eventually the east wall will have a TV and entertainment center (probably not for a few years). We also have a view out of the south windows. I am not sure how to arrange the furniture to take in the view without making it seem as if visitors are turning their back on the rest of the kitchen/dining room. Do you think I have room to put a couch, love seat and couple of chairs without it feeling too crowded? Or would a large sectional work better? Would you center the furniture arrangement in the living room space? I had thought about arranging the majority of furniture on the east side of the room and maybe putting a puzzle table or small reading area in the southwest corner by the entryway. I like the idea of a narrow table on the opposing wall of the center bathroom with some nice art above it. Any suggestions are appreciated as I would love to have some different ideas/options before checking out the furniture stores...thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

If you make cut outs of the sofa, love seat and chairs, lamp tables, etc , you can move them around on your floor plan to see what works best.

In our current home, we have a similar situation. The sofa/loveseat are situated facing the TV and Fireplace and away from the kitchen. When entertaining, as usual, most people hang around the kitchen and bar area.

If there is a game on TV, nobody feels left out. Sometimes we put a large puzzle half done on a card table, and most people are tempted to sit and try put some of it together. It keeps both adults and kids happy. We have even put bar stools behind the sofas if it's a big game!

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:32AM
teacats

Yes -- best thing to do is take a number of options -- sectionals etc -- and plot it all out on paper. Inches count! :)

A vote for a large sectional facing the covered porch and TV -- and then -- if possible -- add an additional swivel chair ....

Then work out if an ottoman or a coffee table would work best for your needs ....

Here's a link to PB -- take a few options from there -- and try it out on paper with their measurements ....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB sectional -- for ideas and measurements

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:04AM
tkfinn97

I do like the idea for the sectional to kind of divide the room. I appreciate the input!

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
where to buy a high quality leather recliner
We need to replace our queen ann, high leg recliner....
bobcatralph Owens
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
Help with floor plan - change keeping room to kitchen or dining?
I'd appreciate feedback on my modifications to the...
juddgirl2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™