Need help/opinions on outdoor shade or curtain..(Pic included)

Nick_RJuly 27, 2012

I am currently having an issue with rain/sun coming in from the west side of my outdoor kitchen (right side on the pic), right behind my grill. It rarely occurs, but every now and then we get a storm that blows in from the west and gets my cabinets wet. Also, the sun is starting to fade my granite a little on that side. Im looking for something to put up on that side that will block the rain/sun when needed but can be removed when not needed. It would have to mount to the stucco up top. Any suggestions??

Thanks

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lpc3

I'm sorry to sidetrack here but you're outdoor kitchen is exactly what our "ideal" outdoor kitchen would look like - do you mind sharing the size of the entire area, if there's anything you love or wish you'd done differently and a rough ball park on what this cost? (also, what state are you in?)

We are in the process of finding a trustworthy GC but most all stories we've heard haven't been encouraging.

Thank you for any info!

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 3:30PM
thejimbar

Roller Shades are the way to go.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 5:15PM
Nick_R

The slab is 24x14. Rough cost was 45k. Thats including, granite, all cypress ceilings and cabinets, 46" TV, sound system, sink, Bull 36" gas grill and side burner, fridge, stainless gas/woodburning fireplace, raised concrete slab, gutters, stucco, etc... We absolutely love it. Can get kinda crowded at times. Another 2' on the depth would have helped out alot. Other than the weather issue I am having now, I have no complaints. The TV was purposely positioned over the fireplace facing the jacuzzi! Best seat in the house for LSU and Saints games! That ought to answer your state question. lol

Jimbar, I did a search for roller shades and cant find any info on shades like you have in the pic. Who did these for you and what was the cost? Thanks! That does look like something I would be looking for.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 8:39PM
MiaOKC

Try to google hurricane roller shades. Those look like something I've seen on lots of condos in Florida.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:50AM
piaa

We have automatic hurricane shutters on our home in the Caribbean and used Alutech - love them - they look like the ones posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Alutech website

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 6:19PM
Nick_R

Found these outdoor curtains on line. Looks like they might serve the purpose for minimal investment. Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.plowhearth.com/uv-resistant-outdoor-grommet-top-curtains_p2625_s2004_d3057_c1133.html

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
Transition between two DiamondBrite colors
Trying to figure out best way to do this. Will be doing...
jscozz
Resurfacing a Pool
We are looking to resurface our pool. Can you give...
rhondasumsky
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™